Chicken sweater. Yes or no.

grannyhowie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
Sheffield vlg. Ohio
The weather in our area is below freezing already at night, and my poor little EE has just started to molt. It seems like it's all at once. She has many big bald spots. I have seen her shivering. Whereas I do know that a sweater on a fully feathered bird would not be good because it would restrict the hen from fluffing her feathers, would it be a good or bad idea to put one on little miss baldy? What do you all think?
hu.gif

I also would like to know this! Just opinions about chicken sweaters in general. Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but aren't chickens sensitive when molting? Would the sweater rub against her and irritate her? Like rubbing a sun burn or something along those lines? Again, not sure, just a thought..

I too am curious. I have an older leghorn that is nearly naked in temps well below zero.
I was not going to heat the coop but did put a radiant heater in there since she is so very naked and our temps have been down to -14.
She looks so down right miserable.

I whipped this little sweater up yesterday for this hen that has issues and gets very cold at night. Rather than separate her with a heat lamp or subject the entire flock to a lamp, she now wears a sweater at night...

Miss Molly...

She slept well in it last night and was much warmer this morning than she normally is. She will only wear this at night time and can use a heat lamp during the day unless it gets brutally cold outside.

So go ahead and use a sweater over night if your bird looks cold! This sweater is "Miss Molly" approved! :)

Sadly I think for my naked hen the new feathers trying desperately to grow in would get stuck in the knit and be uncomfortable.
However I am going to go look in my sewing stuff for any quilted material. Perhaps I can make her a coat of sorts.

I whipped this little sweater up yesterday for this hen that has issues and gets very cold at night. Rather than separate her with a heat lamp or subject the entire flock to a lamp, she now wears a sweater at night...

Miss Molly...

She slept well in it last night and was much warmer this morning than she normally is. She will only wear this at night time and can use a heat lamp during the day unless it gets brutally cold outside.

So go ahead and use a sweater over night if your bird looks cold! This sweater is "Miss Molly" approved! :)
Ah, did you knit it? It's lovely.

Sadly I think for my naked hen the new feathers trying desperately to grow in would get stuck in the knit and be uncomfortable.
However I am going to go look in my sewing stuff for any quilted material. Perhaps I can make her a coat of sorts.
I think fleece or knit would be easier if you have those, just sew a tube and cut out the wings? If it works out, please, please post pic.

Yes, newly growing blood feathers would probably get stuck in crochet or knitting. You might work with handkerchief material or some sort of brushed cotton?

Back
Top Bottom