Chicken breeds for Incubating And Raising Quail Chicks

YASIN

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 26, 2010
Chittagong , Bangladesh
Hello everyone

Although in some places i hav read not to keep quail near chickens , i hav found some sites whr they hav successfully hatched quail eggs under chickens (most mentioned bantams) and also raised them .....

I would like to know wat all breeds of chicken will be suitable for this purpose .... and also plz post some pics of those breeds as i am totally unaware of how different breeds look like and also bcuz we hav less options in our place ..... it would be better if someone from India or Bangladesh or around or even those who are knowledge-able about this region would also comment ...

The reason for not keeping the two species together is scientific. It isn't just someones opinion.

Chickens carry many diseases and parasites that they are resistant to but are fatal to quail. Chickens can carry these diseases their whole lives and never show any symptoms. Coryza, MG, and Blackhead are probably the worst of the group but there are many poultry diseases.

Here is a picture of a quail that got Coryza from a seemingly healthy chicken.

There is no test or treatment to clear your chickens of these diseases and again that picture above is just one of many diseases that chickens can freely transmit to quail.

Once a quail or chicken has one of these diseases it may be treated and the symptoms may disappear. However that bird is still a carrier and is freely infecting any other birds it is kept in contact with.

Not to mention that when you hatch them with chickens the chicken will typically break some eggs during incubation and will also step on and kill many of the chicks after they hatch.

If your quail get a disease from chickens you'll be dealing with it for as long as you want to keep chickens and quail. If you buy or build your own incubator there is a small cost now but peace of mind that you arent subjecting your birds to diseases they have no immunity to.

Well,as the person above said, it may not be safe to hatch quail under chickens, BUT if you do, please remove the Quail as soon as you realize they are hatched. I believe that the best chicken breed for hatching other birds is the Silkie Bantams. They are very broody and are often used to hatch many exotic birds such as Peafowl, Emus,Ducks,etc.

I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom