WATERY POOP

Zoom Zoom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Rolla, MO
My RIR roo has had "loose" poop since he was very young. It wasn't bad , I thought it was normal for him, so I didn't worry about it. The six hens are fine. I started feeding the flock (7 in all) Activia yogurt (with fruit - plain with probiotics isn't available here) three days ago thinking that would clear it up. Yesterday it was a little worse and today it is mosly liquid. I see no signs of worms. He is eating, drinking and acting normal. Gobbles up the yogurt and, this morning, warm oatmeal. Could the probiotics be making this worse? Should I be doing something else. They are all 19 weeks old.

Well, above is what I'm getting when I try to insert a picture so here's what I'm seeing. There is a small amount of dark in the poop surrounded partially by a milky, thicker liquid and then a clear, running liquid.

Thanks!

OK - so nobody has responded to my question and the runny poop is getting worse. Can someone please tell me if I should start the flock on some kind of treatment - wormer or??? The problem is still just with my roo. Thanks

How old are your chickens? You can't always see worms in the droppings, so I would worm them with Valbazen or SafeGuard goat wormer 1/2 ml orally for each chicken, and repeat in 10 days. Stop the yogurt and get some probios dispersible powder at your feed store. Yogurt can cause more diarrhea. If your chickens are under 20 weeks old they could still be at risk of getting coccidiosis, and treating them with a 5 day course of Corid may help.

They are 21 weeks, 2 days old. So, I should not give them the Corid? I'll get the wormer and start that today. Thanks.

Corid would not hurt them at all to treat them. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days, as the only source of water, and change it daily. When it is finished, give vitamins and probiotics for several days. That way, you will know it's not cocci. A vet can always do a stool examination for worms and cocci. All chickens will have some coccidiosis organisms in the stool, but if there is a large amount, that needs to be treated.

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

The fates are against me. One of my girls gave us our first egg, a tiny brown egg, this morning in a nexting box. Then, while cleaning the coop this afternoon, another laid an egg outside beside the building and we now we can't eat the eggs. What a bummer but there will be more and I'll be glad when they are all healthy.

Have you given the dewormer? The egg withdrawal is 14 days after the last worming dose (total of 24 days.) With Corid, there is no egg withdrawal, so you can eat the eggs if you haven't used the dewormer.

Feed store was out of the dewormer; supposed to get more in this afternoon so hopefully can start treatment tomorrow. Good that we can eat these two tiny eggs. After I start the dewormer, can I scramble the eggs for the chickens or should I just pitch them?

Feed store was out of the dewormer; supposed to get more in this afternoon so hopefully can start treatment tomorrow. Good that we can eat these two tiny eggs. After I start the dewormer, can I scramble the eggs for the chickens or should I just pitch them?

There's wormer residue in the eggs after worming. It's best to toss the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom