Chicken tractors and predators

kevandtara

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 16, 2014
San Juan Island, WA
I read in Chicken Tractor, by Andy Lee, that the frequent relocation of a tractor makes predators wary of attacking the birds inside. I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this, either agreeing or disagreeing with what Andy has to say.

I have no experience with Chicken tractors, but id say it'd still make sure its secure as you would with a regular coop.

it also depends how well "relocated" it is.. a predator will still return to a general area, even if its not the given spot

I read in Chicken Tractor, by Andy Lee, that the frequent relocation of a tractor makes predators wary of attacking the birds inside.  I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this, either agreeing or disagreeing with what Andy has to say.  

I would doubt that statement on face value. But instead rephrase it to predators are more cautious in areas of increased human activity. But that in no way infers any immunity from attack to prey species like chickens.

The same could be said of gardens that are hand weeded are more resistant to deer browsing.

I have a few chicken tractors but have seen no reason to suspect moving them prevents predators from trying to get in. Moving the pens does wear them out faster making them easier for a predator to get into. When if comes down to it I rely on defenses other than than actual tractor to keep predators out.

Since tractors are bottomless, I don't think I could make it as secure as a permanent coop. I'm just grasping at straws here to try to make a tractor work, since I love the idea, but I think it's just not the solution for us.

I have a few chicken tractors but have seen no reason to suspect moving them prevents predators from trying to get in. Moving the pens does wear them out faster making them easier for a predator to get into. When if comes down to it I rely on defenses other than than actual tractor to keep predators out.
Alright. Our house is surrounded on 3 sides by woods. I don't want to put the time and effort (and love) into chickens to have them eaten up. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I think tractors definitely have a place. I'm in the planning stages of getting chickens again and can definitely see the use of tractors for short term occupancy like grow out pens for meat birds or pullets. Even for a laying flock it might be useful to rotate them from a fixed coop to a tractor in certain circumstances. I just don't see long term usage for flocks of any appreciable size as you eventually reach a non mobile size.
Before spring I will be building a new coop and run for layers and at least one tractors for growouts.

Back
Top Bottom