Vent Gleet Treatment

MikaylaSD

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 29, 2014
Central South Dakota
I got a new hen two weeks ago that spread a respiratory illness to my other 3 hens, so they have been on Oxytetracycline the past week. All have improved and seem to be fine except one. She is no longer sneezing or wheezing but she has had diarreha all week and stopped eating and drinking a few days ago. Her comb has been turning pale and she no longer can jump on her perch at night. After researching I discovered she now has vent gleet so I just stopped her on the antibiotics. My question is can I give her vitamin and electrolyte water right away? I read online not to mix the two because it can introduce bad bacteria. I'm not going to give her antibiotics anymore but I know it stays in their system for a few days. I'm going to start soaking her tonight but I'm not sure when I can give her yogurt etc. Any advice would be great! I have never dealt with this before.

Can you take he to a vet and have a vet check for bacteria or yeast? When mine had a yeast infection from taking antibiotics, the vet prescribed ketoconazole twice a day for two weeks. You can buy both ketoconazole and fluconazole for fish without a prescription.

-Kathy

Can you take he to a vet and have a vet check for bacteria or yeast? When mine had a yeast infection from taking antibiotics, the vet prescribed ketoconazole twice a day for two weeks. You can buy both ketoconazole and fluconazole for fish without a prescription.

-Kathy

I don't know of a local vet that would treat chickens. I was hoping to treat her naturally, but thanks for the info!! I gave her Epsom salt last night to flush out the yeast and it seems to have worked well. She seems to be doing better today

Back
Top Bottom