Is my chicken sick or old?

collingwood

Songster
5 Years
Hi everyone I have a chicken that wouldn't get down from the perch this morning so I lifted her up but she didn't do anything but sit there so I put her in the shade and went to school hoping she would be alright! she is a really fat chicken and last time I had one this fat it died during the hot days of summer! The chicken that is still alive is really old! And I don't know whether she's hot, sick or just getting old! Is this the behaviour of a sick or hot or old chicken? I brought her in after school and wet her and kept her nice and cool she seemed temporally alright but I think it might be because she was just a bit scared of me because she was afraid I'd wet her!

It sounds like a mixture of hot and old, although I would keep an eye on her and if she sneezes or her eyes turn red and swollen she is sick. Either way I would put some garlic in their water, it builds their immunity to sicknesses. And I have in the past had really hot weather where I live, and my chickens were walking around holding their wings out to the side and panting, to fix this problem i took my hose pipe, put a nose on it that had an extremely faint mist, and turned it on the slowest mist available. All my chickens loved it and went to sit in front of it. I don't know how many chickens you have, but this might work for you too. How old is this chicken?

Oh, I am sorry. She was old more than likely, you could not do anything about it. I have had numerous chickens die in the past.

Back
Top Bottom