Oh no!!! Forgot liver in fridge for 6 days.. it is bad eh?

Sabz

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Quebec, Canada
I processed the meat chickens on saturday.
As we processed them, we put the livers in a tuppwerware in the fridge.

I froze my chickens on tuesday and completely forgot about the liver.

So its been in the fridge for 6 days... can I cook it and eat it? It doesn't smell anything..

I don't really think it can still be good.. but I want to make sure, it's 16 livers going to waste :(

Maybe I should cook one in a pan to test without any spices or flavors - not in a liver recipe.

I processed the meat chickens on saturday.
As we processed them, we put the livers in a tuppwerware in the fridge.

I froze my chickens on tuesday and completely forgot about the liver.

So its been in the fridge for 6 days... can I cook it and eat it? It doesn't smell anything..

I don't really think it can still be good.. but I want to make sure, it's 16 livers going to waste
sad.png

Maybe I should cook one in a pan to test without any spices or flavors - not in a liver recipe.

Well... If it doesn't look bad or smell bad, chances are it's still fine. If the fridge is cold enough, and the meat was not contaminated with feces or whatever, and you cook it thoroughly, chances are...

You know, in places all over the world, throughout history continuing into the modern times, people have used spices to mask the flavor and smell of bad meat since it's not uncommon for it to be cooked and eaten anyway... I've eaten spoiled meat that's then been cooked on numerous occasions, don't rely on the taste or smell test once it's cooked, since it will generally taste and smell just like normal, unspoiled meat does. ;) Never got sick off it either.

Best wishes.

Ahh thank you. But I wasn't able to.. hahah. I smelled it again and thought it had a little acidic smell. Since I never ate chicken liver before, I wasn't sure of the "normal" taste. On certain websites it stated it would only remain good for 1-2 days. I might have tried it on day 3, maybe 4..

How do you know you ate spoiled meat? You smell it, look at it, know for a fact that it's spoiled and still cook it and eat it?

I have.. how do you call this.. emetophobia. I cannot stand the look, spell of a sick person. I was NEVER able to help my boyfriend when he was sick. In fact, I have to get out of the house, even if that means I'm staying outside in plain winter wearing only my pijamas. If I see "that" on a sidewalk near a bar as example, I will change to the other side of the road LOL

And once, I ate chicken that was spoiled. I was sooooooooooooo sick. I hate being sick, I cannot stand it. So.. tonight I smelled the liver again and threw it away, feeling really cheap since people are dying fro hunger all over the world and am throwing out food. But, I couldn't get my mind to eat it.

My mom says I've had this problem since I ate something when I was young (don't remember if it was shampoo or wild mushrooms.. I did one and my brother did the other). I remember the doctor FORCING me to drink 2 large cups of black liquid (activated charcoal?). It taste horrible, it had a disgusting texture.. then I was sick like crazy. And I am traumatized since then hehe.

All that to explain a very simple thing. Sorry.

Ahh thank you. But I wasn't able to.. hahah. I smelled it again and thought it had a little acidic smell. Since I never ate chicken liver before, I wasn't sure of the "normal" taste. On certain websites it stated it would only remain good for 1-2 days. I might have tried it on day 3, maybe 4..

Fair enough, better safe than sorry. Not a liver fan myself... But homegrown is nothing like the stinky stuff from the store, I could eat homegrown. Always hated storebought liver.

Generally, liver and kidneys will rapidly become congested with toxic products if the animal was very sick, injured, or stressed a lot before death, as the body will under those circumstances often release any stored toxins (i.e. those once wrapped in fat to protect the system as it was unable to detoxify them at that stage) as part of the detrimental byproduct of physical/ psychological stressors, and also the liver and kidneys in large part both store and have to process these wastes so can at processing stage be filled with them (since of course the dead animal has ceased processing wastes and toxins by the time you're processing its corpse).

A healthy animal that died a clean and humane death with little to no suffering will have all its organs and meat last far longer in good condition whereas physically or psychologically stressed animals can begin to rot within 24 hours and will rapidly decompose even in the fridge.

How do you know you ate spoiled meat? You smell it, look at it, know for a fact that it's spoiled and still cook it and eat it?

Yep, that's it, in a nutshell. ;)

I've lived below poverty level my whole life. Makes you less fussy about food, well, does that for most people, not all. Of course, I was once too careful to eat spoiled foods, and there's still many types of rot or contamination I won't touch, but it all starts with one incident and snowballs.... One time we ate beef mince with maggots a centimeter long all through it. Just cooked it up and added rice, you'd never know the difference, except some of the 'rice' had a black dot on one end. It was that, or go hungry. It tasted fine even though the mince was green on one portion and grey in the rest before cooking. Once cooked, looked and tasted just the same as normal mince.

After that, I've eaten a lot of spoiled meals, with moulds, fermentation, more maggots, dead flies, soured or greened or slimy or grey meats, meats that were gaseous within the packets, even fermented meat once, fizzy... Ok, the more I think about this, the more the list is going to get longer and I don't think that will serve any good purpose, so I'll stop now. ;)

I have.. how do you call this.. emetophobia. I cannot stand the look, spell of a sick person. I was NEVER able to help my boyfriend when he was sick. In fact, I have to get out of the house, even if that means I'm staying outside in plain winter wearing only my pijamas. If I see "that" on a sidewalk near a bar as example, I will change to the other side of the road LOL

And once, I ate chicken that was spoiled. I was sooooooooooooo sick. I hate being sick, I cannot stand it. So.. tonight I smelled the liver again and threw it away, feeling really cheap since people are dying fro hunger all over the world and am throwing out food. But, I couldn't get my mind to eat it.

Actually what you've described here is a physical problem, not just psychological. This is a legitimate condition, known to doctors; it's not just a phobia, although the phobia may be a secondary result, it's also possible it is legitimate in its own right, particularly if what you caught off the chicken was contagious via exposure to the vomit of the infected person. Sounds like maybe you got campylobacter?

I forget the name of the condition at the moment, unfortunately... But what you're describing isn't uncommon; it's not all in your head, it's also physical. What happened here was that your immune system recognized that your health came under serious attack, and it has responded with a newly programmed physiological reaction that will prevent you putting yourself in that situation ever again; it can cause nausea and a lot of other physical responses to that stimuli. Basically your immune system starts reacting preemptively. Its defense has changed to offense.

I have had a similar thing occur with overdoing it on vodka and mango juice just once; for a few years after that I gagged whenever I smelt mango, but not vodka. My body got confused, lol... It was the vodka that almost killed me, not the mango.

I'm very careful about chicken, I mean I've eaten spoiled chicken that was thoroughly cooked (I know, I just contradicted myself there) but when it comes to raw chicken, whether home grown or storebought (especially the latter) I'm very careful. So many people will put raw chicken straight on the wooden cutting boards they make sandwiches on, or on the benchtop, use a kitchen cloth they never wash, wipe everything down with the contaminated cloth... That grosses me out. I don't mind handling corpses and offal with my bare hands though. Lots of bizarre contradictions there... lol.

Coming from my background, there was often a bit of a struggle over food, so over the years I've eaten so much spoiled food it's not funny. It if spoils at home it's rarely an issue, but buying it spoilt from the shop is dangerous. I mean, of course technically it's all potentially dangerous... But I've got a very good sense of smell for harmful bacteria and decay. Not all of it is seriously dangerous at all and I don't muck around with food that doesn't smell safe, although my idea of 'safe' includes some scents that would make the average person throw the food away.

My mom says I've had this problem since I ate something when I was young (don't remember if it was shampoo or wild mushrooms.. I did one and my brother did the other). I remember the doctor FORCING me to drink 2 large cups of black liquid (activated charcoal?). It taste horrible, it had a disgusting texture.. then I was sick like crazy. And I am traumatized since then hehe.

You ate the wild mushrooms, I bet. More water, making the kid either vomit or have diarrhea, is far, far more common a way to deal with detergents like shampoos, whereas charcoal is more often used for foods or similar organic substances. If you were sick like crazy, that also sounds like 'shrooms, or perhaps your doc slipped you something to make you vomit, but I doubt it, because it'd be bizarrely counterproductive to get a kid to drink charcoal and then make them vomit it. But hey, I don't know for sure, of course.

All that to explain a very simple thing. Sorry.

lol, it's fine, I do understand... And it looks like I gave you even more things to be grossed out by.... My turn to say sorry!

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom