Lost for words

silly4buttons

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 5, 2013
Billerica Ma
Well today I lost my first chicken to a stupid hawk. As I was pulling into the driveway I see the stupid thing in the yard with my 4 month old silkie/easter egger mix. It tried to take off with her. I grab a stick and went to save my baby but it was to late she was already gone. So I called my friend mike and he help me buried her. Very sad day.

It is very sad: so sorry you had to experience that...:(

But if the hawk survived the encounter, it will be back, so be careful letting any others roam. I was seeing too many Hawks in the trees around my yard, so I put up netting over the top of the run. I only let the girls out to forage if I am there, but I am teaching our puppy LGD to respond to flying birds and hawk cries. He is doing real well! This was a month ago when I started and he is watching, chasing and barking at a hawk. "Good Dog!" :yesss:

Very sorry for your loss. Hawks are tough to deal with, mainly because they are protected by law, so you can't do anything to them, so you have to take all measures to protect your birds. I would keep them sheltered for a while, as the hawk will definitely be back.

Kikiriki, love your anatolian. I've been thinking of getting one.

Thanks...I am happy with him, although I wish we had gotten a second for a playmate. He knocked me on my butt because he uses the side of his body like a broad battering ram. He swung his hips and knocked our German Shepherd into the wall of the house. She is 70 lbs and he rolls her like a log. But she is 10 years old and does not like that rough play. I ended up kick boxing with him just to stay on my feet...

Anatolians are known to be more people aggressive than Kangal Dogs. The names are mostly used improperly outside of Turkey...started with the first export by a British breeder. DNA testing in Turkey has proven they are genetically distinct breeds. We got our Kangal from Shadow Wings Farm in Georgia... She has the best dogs of the breeders we saw who have a website in the US.

Many breeders here and in Turkey are mixing breeds with Mastiffs, Maramas, or Great Pyrs, which I think is a huge disservice to the Kangals and the Anatolians. They have been guarding livestock for thousands of years, with the shepherds selecting for the best traits for all that time. If the face is not a gentle slope from the nose to the forehead, or the shape from face on is boxy instead of triangular, or the jaw is broad with hanging dewlaps, there is Mastiff genes mixed in. The Mastiff mix is known as a Boz Kangal, and is not reliable as a livestock guardian. It is billed as regular guard dog, like for a business. They are very aggressive.

These dogs are not cheap wherever you make the purchase, and we saved for a few years for the cost. ($2000)

They eat less than one would expect for such a large dog. They need giant breed specific food as a puppy... Low protein (less than 25%) and low calcium (0.8 to 1.0) balanced closely with phosphorus, and high calories.

He just now alerted to a hawk cry on his own while out for potty! :lol: it makes him so happy to have a job....you can just see in his carriage that he feels proud, and I am so delighted to see those hawks realizing this yard is not their buffet!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom