Vent Gleet??

KGreene

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
A couple of my birds are having issues with Nasty Butt.... droppings in the coop all appear to be normal looking (round tight darker droppings with a tight white irate cap). However, there are a couple of hens that have poop sticking to their feathers. I noticed one tonight that had a normal looking turd stuck go her feathers. There appears to have been some thinner BM's by the looks of what's stuck on the feathers. What I'm seeing is not yellow or extremely runny and is primarily "around" the vent and not really running down the feathers.

Is what I'm seeing, the early signs of gleet? What would be the best way to begin treatment? ACV and statins? Wormer? There are no vets nearby that I'm aware of that treat birds. They all still appear healthy in appearance and actions.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Vent gleet usually is caused by either a fungal or bacterial infection in the GI tract, and the area around the vent would be very red and irritated with white or yellow patches, and very foul smelling loose droppings. Some hens will get some loose stools or just have too many feathers around the vent, and get messy. You can clean it off and trim excess feathers from the vent. Don't go bathing them in cold weather, but just break off dried droppings or cut them away. Give your chickens a good poultry probiotic in their water or feed 2-3 days a week, and limit treats to see if diarrhea clearsup.

Is there a specific probiotic (or home brew) that you'd recommend?

Many Thanks.

Here is a good link about probiotics: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/probiotics-natural-choice-for-healthy.html
These 2 are very good for chickens and can be added to the water:

15168_PCP.jpg
$_12.JPG

Back
Top Bottom