Is Goldy a loaner? Is this normal?

BarneyNCyndi

Songster
9 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Everett, wa
Hello we are wet in Washington. That sounds funnier damp or soggy which both apply. Our winter season of gray has started.

We are first-year newbies. We have a flock of 6 ladies and we are becoming more concerned about one of our Rhode Island Red (1 of 2) and she has always been a little distant from the other group. We have 3 sets of 2's and the Reds are the oldest by 3 days.. She is about 20 weeks old. She looks the most mature with her comb and waddles.

It has been cold here but warmer today. She wouldn't go into the coop tonight so, I put her in on the roost with the other girls. We have just opened our nesting boxes. No sign of any bald spots or plucking going on. We have seen Trouble (a Plymouth Barred rock) pick on her when we only had one roost in the coop. A quick redesign and there is more then enough room.

We give a low dose of corid because our dog got sick with coccidiosis and the chicks were 4 weeks old with the squirts. Don't know who got who sick, so we have just been giving them a maintence dose is one of our 2 waters. Is this a sign that she will be our first layer? Is there something we should be looking for? When it was cold a few days ago in the 20's she still wouldn't huddle with the other girls, Is our Goldy just a loaner? Should we be checking to see if she is sick? If so, what are the signs and symptoms?

Please please reply if you can help!

Last edited:
Are you certain that she is a she? I had a RIR rooster before, I had difficulty making him stay inside the coop when I went to shut them up at night, he'd run outside at the sound of my footsteps (and let me tell you, tip toeing out shoeless in the winter is not fun). You just mentioned her wattles and comb were the most mature of the bunch, so I thought'd I'd ask.

She is the least aggressive of all of the hens. I started defending her while I am in the yard with the girls. They don't seem to be picking on her as much. Still no eggs yet, every day is like Easter. I run outside to see if anyone has deliver a present. Just poop not. In the nest but on the floor.
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom