Hello I'm ChickadeeBlondy from QLD Australia

ChickadeeBlondy

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 21, 2014
Good morning everyone, I'm looking forward to learning lots of useful and interesting things.
I live in Sth West Queensland, Australia on 40 acres. Hot, dry country. Mostly I have concentrated on chickens, but I have had ducks and geese in the past. The geese disappeared in a huge storm sometime ago but a neighbour found one at his house. They were happy so that's where he stayed.
I have a clucky hen (no rooster) but a friend had peacock eggs so we popped 4 under her. If its a 28 day incubation they are due out on the 28th Nov 2014. One egg went missing from under her and I suspect either a crow or a large Bobtail lizard Ive seen in the chook yard. Ive moved her into my large laundry to protect the eggs but I really don't know what to do when they hatch. I've read that the mother Peacocks teach the babies how to eat and drink and i was wondering if I should separated them from the hen and do the feeding myself? She is only a young hen and never had babies before. Will she know that they are not her chicks and hurt them? Or do you think she will just accept them as her own breed? I have many more questions but have to go now. Thank you for any responses.
ChickadeeBlondy

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I don't know much about peacocks, so I can't answer your questions. I would post your questions in the Peafowl section of the forums, where I'm sure peafowl experts would be glad to help.Peafowl

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know anything about Peacocks either. Definitely follow the link that BantamLover has provided for you.

Enjoy your birds and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about peafowl (never had any), but definitely post on the link that BantamLover21 has left you with and take advantage of our peafowl experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck on getting your peafowl questions answered.

G'day and welcome to Backyard chickens. You may find help closer to home. There is an aussie thread on BYC called "Australia, six states and one funny little island." Must be some Peacock breeders around that could offer advice.

Back
Top Bottom