My Geese Hate Snow, and I'm feeling really sorry for them!

Amanda39

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
White Lake, Michigan
My poor babies HATE the snow! Today was the first day they have been out side for more than 20 minutes. It's been around 12-20 degrees this week with blowing gusty winds and snow. Monday through Thursday, I bundled up and took them out, after about 15-20 minutes, they high tailed it to the garage. I kicked them out, over and over, just while I was cleaning their garage pen. I tried to take them for a short walk, just to my mail box. They both just kept sitting down and tucking in their feet. So, I led them back to the pen and they stayed in the garage all week(except for pen cleaning and short walks) until today. Today it was all sun, no wind, and about 20 this after noon. I filled their pool, walked them to their outdoor pen and let them stay out for about 3 hours. I let them in at 4:30 because it was getting dark. They both were in the pool the whole time(I had filled it with warm water and put the pond heater in there). When I called them out, they came out immediately, but in the 5 minutes it took me to emtpy the pool, they were both already sitting in the snow feet tucked up. I made them walk back to the garage and by the time we reached the driveway(about 30 feet uphill) Moose immediately sat down and Lucy started limping. Poor babies. This is killing me! They are not liking this snow!

Yesterday I was in the house filling their heated bucket, and the wind blew my door open, this is what happened...

Please help. Is it normal for geese to not handle snow and cold weather well?

Your spoiling your geese haha
1f602.png

We had a bit of a warm up over the last 3 days, their feet have been great! But tonight it's dropping to the 20's, so I'll see how they are tomorrow. Poor babies! LOL I need to buy them snow boots LOL

We had a bit of a warm up over the last 3 days, their feet have been great! But tonight it's dropping to the 20's, so I'll see how they are tomorrow. Poor babies! LOL I need to buy them snow boots LOL
snow boots would be good. lol we had a nice warm up too the last 3 days and our spring thawed so I was able to give everyone pools, oh my gosh did they love it. Sam and Toots especially I bet they mated 3 times yesterday Silly gooses.

I put their pool out almost everyday. I fill it with warm water from the house and then put a heater in as well. To which they have chewed the crap out of the plastic cord protector.

Oh, and my female keeps mounting my other female and it's freaking her out! I wish she would stop doing this!

I put their pool out almost everyday. I fill it with warm water from the house and then put a heater in as well. To which they have chewed the crap out of the plastic cord protector.

Oh, and my female keeps mounting my other female and it's freaking her out! I wish she would stop doing this!
Oh my gosh mine chew on everything the little brats[cute cuddly things] One of our smaller old pools had a few cracks at the top so i put gorilla tape over them [if I put gorilla tape on anything I cannot get it off, well I look out the coop as I am cleaning and Missy had it in her mouth she had gotten it off. so come spring when i have to literally cut it off my extension cords I will look her up.
roll.png
I wish they could have a heated pool but once the spring freezes that's it ,our well water we just can't use for such frivolous things according to dh. although on nicer days when it's in lower 40's I do give them some water in the cement mixing tub.

The mounting is something I haven't had with the geese yet maybe because I have a gander, but my female ducks do it and they have drakes galore. I think with the ducks it's a dominating thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom