Day old or incubate to get your chicks

i what your oppion, hatch your own or buy day old?
If you do not want ALOT----You can buy a few every year for YEARS before you can pay for a incubator etc---besides the time and "stress" some go through. Me---I just Like to hatch----so I do not mind spending the extra up front. I don't let it stress me so I am Good.

I have never had a problem with shipped eggs until now. Not one of 36 hatched. One setback will not stop me, but. I was only hatching for a friend that got them from eBay. At day 10 the auto turner broke and hand turned 5 times daily. Then dog knocking in to it. Fully developed chicks in some eggs but the could not break through. So total loss. I was incubating and could pick two hens to keep. Sounded good to me. No hatch no hens. I have three buff Orpington's that lay about 18-20 eggs a week. Then I have a black orpington that has no layed to my knowledge. Here sister passed due to a bound egg. If the neighbor would go for i would like to get some EE's for my youngest son. He does a lot of the cleaning and taking care for his hens and really likes having colored eggs mixed in. I want another black or Jubiele orpington.

A lot of that's going to depend on your management plan for cockerels. Hatching will give you 50% males on average. Ordering day old sexed birds gives you 10% Oops leeway. If you're going to butcher or otherwise have a market for them, go ahead and hatch. If you're in a no-roo zone, why even start with the headache?

A lot of that's going to depend on your management plan for cockerels. Hatching will give you 50% males on average. Ordering day old sexed birds gives you 10% Oops leeway. If you're going to butcher or otherwise have a market for them, go ahead and hatch. If you're in a no-roo zone, why even start with the headache?
Excellent advice as always. If you are just looking for a handful of pullets why go through the hassle of incubating? As you found out you may not have any hatch, or like me all could be males. If your son wants EEs, it's easy to order sexed pullets from a hatchery (though 2 of my 6 sexed "pullets" were cockerels).

These are what my son would like to add. Anyone see any problems with adding these, to my buff and black orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom