white chinese gander limping? :((

Ica94

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hi everyone,
I have a 5 month old Chinese goose that just started limping yesterday. I made the mistake of letting him free range with his duck friends and today he barely walks. I'm going to put him in the pen we have for them to restrict his movement. I looked at his leg and don't see any cuts, scrapes or wound. I think he may have sprained his leg or pulled a muscle. Is there anything else I can do to help my baby? If he is still limping by the end of the week, I will take him to the vet. But since we are short on money, that is a last resort. Please any advice would help :((

Hi everyone,
I have a 5 month old Chinese goose that just started limping yesterday. I made the mistake of letting him free range with his duck friends and today he barely walks. I'm going to put him in the pen we have for them to restrict his movement. I looked at his leg and don't see any cuts, scrapes or wound. I think he may have sprained his leg or pulled a muscle. Is there anything else I can do to help my baby? If he is still limping by the end of the week, I will take him to the vet. But since we are short on money, that is a last resort. Please any advice would help
sad.png
(
Might want to consider adding some Brewers yeast to his feed for the week your keeping him restricted sometimes it can be a niacin dif. You can also add niacin to his water it has to be plain niacin though not time released of flush free to me it easier to find Brewers yeast. put about 1 tab to 1 cup of feed sprinkled over top. Brewers yeast will not harm anyone else who may eat it either. Please let us know how he is doing.

Might want to consider adding some Brewers yeast to his feed for the week your keeping him restricted sometimes it can be a niacin dif. You can also add niacin to his water it has to be plain niacin though not time released of flush free to me it easier to find Brewers yeast. put about 1 tab to 1 cup of feed sprinkled over top. Brewers yeast will not harm anyone else who may eat it either. Please let us know how he is doing.
X2. I've taken Miss Lydia's advise on this a long time ago and it really works. Make sure he gets greens and Cod Liver Oil works w/ it per my vet, because of the vitamins it contains. Vit e/w selenium also. I had a goose that we were going to euthanize because she injured her back and couldn't stand and would fall over and lay on her back pumping her legs. Her mate had lost his first, Little Britches, so I couldn't do it w/o trying first. I don't have an Avian vet, but did in Co., so I called and most of his advise was the same as I get on here. Imagine that! My hubby put her in the horse tank everyday to strengthen her w/o the pressure on her back. She is normal now , but it took awhile but the vitamins really helped. My limping gander pulled out of it quickly after starting the Brewers yeast. You can buy a big sack of it for livestock at the feed store. I feed it every day in the winter and most of the time in summer. I don't post often on this forum, but I read and learn a lot. My geese are my babies, just noisy when they see me and I'm trying to sneak around in the middle of the night. LOL

X2. I've taken Miss Lydia's advise on this a long time ago and it really works. Make sure he gets greens and Cod Liver Oil works w/ it per my vet, because of the vitamins it contains. Vit e/w selenium also. I had a goose that we were going to euthanize because she injured her back and couldn't stand and would fall over and lay on her back pumping her legs. Her mate had lost his first, Little Britches, so I couldn't do it w/o trying first. I don't have an Avian vet, but did in Co., so I called and most of his advise was the same as I get on here. Imagine that! My hubby put her in the horse tank everyday to strengthen her w/o the pressure on her back. She is normal now , but it took awhile but the vitamins really helped. My limping gander pulled out of it quickly after starting the Brewers yeast. You can buy a big sack of it for livestock at the feed store. I feed it every day in the winter and most of the time in summer. I don't post often on this forum, but I read and learn a lot. My geese are my babies, just noisy when they see me and I'm trying to sneak around in the middle of the night. LOL
Thanks so much for confirming, even if the young goose stepped in a hole and injured his leg the brewers yeast can't hurt and can sure help along with rest and water therapy which I didn't mention because this time of year not many of us can offer it [outside anyway] So glad to hear how well your goose is doing.
smile.png

I will definitely try that. He was being fussy about being restricted in his coop all day but its for his own good :'( I'll upload a pic of how he is. I definitely update in the next few days.

I will definitely try that. He was being fussy about being restricted in his coop all day but its for his own good :'( I'll upload a pic of how he is. I definitely update in the next few days.
I know poor thing wants to be out and about but you know whats best for him. This time of year with everything outside dead from frigid temps, I go to Sams and buy the large heads of Romaine and they get 2 heads about 3X a week that gives them some greens, plus sometimes at the grocery store I find chopped kale or collards marked down. and heads of cabbage they will work onjust things to give them greens over cold months. and they all have B vitamins in them I know romaine does anyway. we'd love to see pics.

I know poor thing wants to be out and about but you know whats best for him. This time of year with everything outside dead from frigid temps, I go to Sams and buy the large heads of Romaine and they get 2 heads about 3X a week that gives them some greens, plus sometimes at the grocery store I find chopped kale or collards marked down. and heads of cabbage they will work onjust things to give them greens over cold months. and they all have  B vitamins in them I know romaine does anyway. we'd love to see pics.

an update: he is still limping, but we bought the brewers yeast and baby aspirin for his leg. I dont see any swolling and he is still eating alot and his usual self other than his limp. He was getting depressed being in his coop for three days so i let him out to free range with his ducky friends. He is happy being ourside, but we are still going to watch him ad make sure he gets extra vitamins. I'll update when we see progression.

an update: he is still limping, but we bought the brewers yeast and baby aspirin for his leg. I dont see any swolling and he is still eating alot and his usual self other than his limp. He was getting depressed being in his coop for three days so i let him out to free range with his ducky friends. He is happy being ourside, but we are still going to watch him ad make sure he gets extra vitamins. I'll update when we see progression.
I read and will have to find the link but aspirin isn't safe for water fowl can damage their kidneys. If you have to pen him to help him get over this why not give him a couple duck friends to stay with him. It will take him alot longer to recover if he is out running around. Hope the brewers yeast works and it should if it's a niacin dif. if an injury it still may help.

I was reading online it would help with the pain if he has any. I would love to read the article, and I'll stay away from the aspirin for now. I did keep his only two duck friends with him but they all wanted to get out. We do have a small pond by our house that he swims in so maybe that'll help him lay of his foot. They r smart creatures and he knew right away to go to the water and let his leg rest. But I'll let u knw of his progression.

I was reading online it would help with the pain if he has any. I would love to read the article, and I'll stay away from the aspirin for now. I did keep his only two duck friends with him but they all wanted to get out. We do have a small pond by our house that he swims in so maybe that'll help him lay of his foot. They r smart creatures and he knew right away to go to the water and let his leg rest. But I'll let u knw of his progression.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart you have to scroll way down to find aspirin.

well can't find the one I was looking for thought i had it book marked, i was using baby aspirin for my old drake when he had a limp and someone gave me a link that mentioned aspirin was harmful to water fowls kidneys I'll keep looking. found this though

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom