Black and brown colors, what breed

texas hiker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
East Texas
My wifes son (my stepson) ordered a frypan special from cackle hatchery. The package was 100 roosters of heritage breeds and a couple of rare breeds mixed in.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/cornishcrosspage.html#frypan

My stepson thought he was getting fast growing broilers. My wife and I went over to his house to see his chickens and maybe provide some feedback as to why they were growing so slow. He was a little disappointed to hear he bought slow growing heritage breeds instead of fast growing broilers.

My wife liked the colors of a certain brown rooster. So we traded store bought pack of chicken breast and some pork chops for the roosters.

I thought my wife and I were getting a brown leghorn. Not so sure what breed it is now.

The buff orpington rooster has started crowing and acting like a rooster.

The brown rooster is not crowing and not acting like a rooster. He is also acting wild. I can not get anywhere near the rooster during the daytime. If my wife or I get even 20 feet from the rooster he takes off running.

Both roosters are 5 months old in November.

There pictures were taken today. Any idea what breed he is or why he is developing much slower than the buff orpington?

Last edited:
He's a gold laced Wyandotte. He could be a late bloomer, or he could be keeping quiet if your Orpington is very bossy.

If your stepson wants the fast growing meaties he needs to order Cornish X, or the red/black broilers. Broilers are not considered "heritage breeds". What he ordered will take about 5 months to mature and even then they won't have the meat a fast growing broiler will have.

Last edited:
He's a gold laced Wyandotte. He could be a late bloomer, or he could be keeping quiet if your Orpington is very bossy.

The buff oprington rooster is kept in a separate chicken yard that is around 100 yards from where this flock is at.

My wife wants to breed buffs. So ten buff hens and the buff rooster are being kept in one yard while all the others are kept in the larger yard in the pictures.

My stepson said he is probably not going to order another broiler pack. He said keeping up with 100 chicks and butchering them was to much to deal with. I told him to get heritage breeds and butcher them as he needed.

My stepson said he is probably not going to order another broiler pack. He said keeping up with 100 chicks and butchering them was to much to deal with. I told him to get heritage breeds and butcher them as he needed.
Another option for when he needs to raise more meaties is Freedom Rangers. They grow more quickly than heritage types, but more slowly than Cornish X. They grow at varying rates and are not susceptible to the leg and heart issues of other meat breeds. Those could be butchered as needed and will certainly have plenty of meat.

Is it safe to say Wyandottes grow slower than other breeds?

I had two silver laced wyandottes. I think a coyote got one and the other died a few days later. They had some bad habits such as feather pulling.

He's a Golden Laced Wyandotte. I wouldn't say that Wyandottes are really fast growers, but nor are they particularly slow. My Wyandottes generally grow as fast as my other birds, though they do take longer to feather in. The roosters tend to take a while to fill out, too.

He's a Golden Laced Wyandotte. I wouldn't say that Wyandottes are really fast growers, but nor are they particularly slow. My Wyandottes generally grow as fast as my other birds, though they do take longer to feather in. The roosters tend to take a while to fill out, too.
Agreed.

Wyandottes tend to be a little heftier than many other dual purpose breeds, so and take a touch longer to mature. And, each individual matures at a different rate. Just walk down the hall of any middle school in America
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom