Questions about my first butcher job...

Farmer Mike S

Songster
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
Glen Mills, PA
Today I butchered a turkey, which is the first thing I ever butchered in my life. It was a one of two turkeys that my parents agreed to take care of while someone was in college, but the person never payed like they promised and my parents are spending a lot to feed these, so I butchered one. It's not a total loss since it's not my turkey, but it was a huge turkey and probably not something good to start with, and I don't want it to go to waste.

Anyway, when I was plucking feathers, I tore the skin off in a couple spots. When I was doing the inside I had no clue where anything was and I cut into both the intestines and the stomach. I eventually got everything pulled out of the bird and washed out the inside. The bird smelled but I think it's from when I torched the remaining feathers, and now the turkeys in a trash bag in my freezer.

Anyway, is the bird safe to eat? And if not, can I salvage anything out of it? Like I said, I tore skin off in a few spots and split open both the intestines and stomach inside the bird. It was a great learning experience, but this bird is about 40 LBS and I hate to see it go to waste.

Did you puncture the bile sac? It looks like a dark green/black sac on the liver. If you did, you'd notice green liquid. It can spoil the meat. You can cut out the affected area if you did. And since you cut into the intestines, you could be smelling feces. It's not a waste either way. Just clean and cook.

Did you puncture the bile sac? It looks like a dark green/black sac on the liver. If you did, you'd notice green liquid. It can spoil the meat. You can cut out the affected area if you did. And since you cut into the intestines, you could be smelling feces. It's not a waste either way. Just clean and cook.

Yes, it was the bike sack. What can I still do with the bird?

I would just cut out any affected part; anything that got bile on it. You still have a lot of bird to use. If i was worried about it, if just quarter it and cook it however you wanted.

I'm assuming the sac broke, possibly inside the bird while it was on its back. That still leaves you 2 legs/thighs, 2 wings, and 2 breasts.

I would just cut out any affected part; anything that got bile on it. You still have a lot of bird to use. If i was worried about it, if just quarter it and cook it however you wanted.

I'm assuming the sac broke, possibly inside the bird while it was on its back. That still leaves you 2 legs/thighs, 2 wings, and 2 breasts.

I washed out the bird, and kept it whole so hopefully the bile is only on the one part, so ****** I did that. If bile got on the outside of the bird, would the skin protect it?

Bile stains skin and flesh green, so just look for any green spots and cut them off.

I have had the intestines tear many times when I have butchered birds, and haven't died from eating them yet.
wink.png
Just wash very thoroughly, and it will be fine. You might want to use a strongly flavored brine.

I don't know if you withheld food before butchering, but I find it helps a lot to have the intestines empty. I usually just take away the food at bedtime, and process the next morning.

Back
Top Bottom