Mallard with discolored speculum

duckman4450

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
My 1 year 3 month old mallard hen has recently developed a discolored speculum on her left wing. Her right wing still looks very good, though. She eats a lot of 18% chicken layer feed, cracked corn, peas, lettuce, minnows, and crickets. If it matters she was recently nearly killed by an owl, but has made a full recovery. She has also recently been making a lot of high pitched noises, like she is trying to clear her nostrils, only she isn't doing it in water, which could possibly be related, I am not sure. Does it sound like she could have a deficiency of something or be sick? Here are some pictures of her wings.

Right Wing (good one)

Left wing (bad one)

Thanks buff goose guy I was sending duckman over to the Mallard thread because I saw you had been on there. Duckman she is one very lucky duck to survive an owl attack.

Last edited:
Ohh yes totally, while we have never had an owl attack here but we have had a good amount of hawks, only one mallard (that i know of) survived a hawk attack here and she was in our little hospital for a while, she had lost an eye to the hawk.

Ohh yes totally, while we have never had an owl attack here but we have had a good amount of hawks, only one mallard (that i know of) survived a hawk attack here and she was in our little hospital for a while, she had lost an eye to the hawk.
Glad she made it through the attack, I lost a bantam hen to a hawk last fall, it was heart breaking.

Back
Top Bottom