Brand new chicken owner

chickitybickity

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 24, 2014
I have three leghorns and they are the most amazing chickens I have ever met. They have the coolest personalities. These are the first hens I have raised outside of my work. I am very new to being a chicken owner. I have had my girls for two weeks now and I am very excited to have them.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Chickens are amazing, aren't they? I can't get enough of mine. I had white, silver and brown leghorns and the brown ones were so sweet! I'd definitely get more of them.

Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock. Lovely to hear your enjoying your girls, chickens are great animals to keep and make excellent chicken TV with their personalities!!
Be sure to ask any questions you may have everyone here to help you on your chicken journey.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Nice to have you join us, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Have fun with your birds!

Thank you!!!! I do have so many questions. My girls are white l eghorns and they were given to me from a friend and before the move they were laying a lot. I still have yet to see any eggs. I even put decoy eggs in their nesting boxes. Still nothing. Then friday I noticed one of my girls was scratching a lot and the others would pick at her, but didnt seem to be hurting her. I did some recon on the web and yesterday we picked up some dusting powder for their mites. I had seen worms in their poo. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Chickens hate change, like moving to a new home, and will often stop laying for a couple of weeks or a month or more when they are moved. This time of year, especially if they are older birds, they will usually go into molt, and may not lay again until spring... especially if you do not have supplemental lighting in the coop so they have 14+ hours of light a day.
You might want to post in the Emergencies forum for help with figuring out what kind of worms you have and how to treat them.. there is a nice sticky thread in the forum about worming also https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nd-piperazine-dosage-for-bantams#post_2525157

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Kelsie2290 has given you some good replies to your questions, some good advice, and a good link so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom