Introducing a new chicken

LupusCallidus

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 25, 2014
Hello,

I have eight pullets about six weeks old each. I know someone who is trying to get rid of a four month old Ameracauna and would like to add her to my flock. What are your suggestions for doing this? I know I should keep them separated for awhile. Will the older pullet dominate the younger ones?

Thanks,
Lupus

Hi :welcome

You are right to keep them separate. 6 weeks is a little young to add an older member to them. Yes the older Pullet may try to dominate younger birds. I would keep them seperate but so they can see each other. A fenced off area is best so they can get up close but not actually touch and cause injury.
I wouldn't try to integrate them untill your 6 weeks old are fully grown and are better prepared. If your adding a new member I would quarantine the new bird in case of any disease before letting her near your younger pullets.
When you do let them together I would do it under supervision incase things get rough and you need to intervene.
Wishing you the very best of luck and be sure to ask any more questions you may have everyone here to help :frow

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom