Sebright injured comb

Hollandfound

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
when my Sebright came in this evening, she had a little blood on her comb and head. there was also a little bit of light on another chicken. So I thought that's a little pecking going on and nothing very serious. However later on my daughter was cleaning her up and I started to help. And use Qtips that are made to stop bleeding, I keep them just in case my dogs nails bleed when I cut them. Too my horror she started to bleed a lot again, much more than before. It looks like her comb is seriuosly injured at the base where it attaches to her head. There was a lot of blood coming out, so I immediately put her in a separate cage in a dark room in the hopes that she would quiet down. She quieted down and looks really good now, a lot of dried blood on her head and neck, but im not touching it. The problem I have is keeping this hen, sir peeps a lot; quiet for a couple of days. She is a typical Sebright and really isnt the confined space type. Does anyone have any ideas? And where should I go to figure out follow-up treatment for the couple of days. And how/when should I clean her up as I quite terrified that i'll have her comb bleeding again only worse.

if you've gotten this far thank you so much for any assistance that you can give and/or thank you for taking the time to read this as i appreciate your effort

Last edited:
If you are really concerned you could give a .25 mg tab of vitamin K, or you can put some poultry vitamins-electrolytes in the water a couple days a week. Most poultry vitamin water dispersibles have vitamin k in them. It should heal fine, you just don't want any blood attracting other birds to peck at her.

good idea stop at the farm supply in the morning. and yes I'm worried about the girls pecking at her too. right now I have her next to the girls, but in a separate cage that they can't get thru. This will only work for a short period of time though. when the Sun comes up, she'll be active again and I'm worried about her reinjuring the area.

Keep her inside in a large plastic (clear) storage container with a screen on top. She needs to be segregated from the flock until she heals. The smaller space will keep her calm. I had the same thing happen to a frizzle. Her comb was nearly severed at the point where it attaches to her head. Dab on some Neosporin at the site of the wound and don't bother washing off dried blood for a few days until her wound begins to heal.

Ohhhhhhh this is a good idea. I am concerned that she will catch her comb on the cage bars and finish the job. A container with a clear top and a screen on top, may prevent this. Thank you.

Oh don't worry, she's segregated. She's in a separate cage next too the other girls. Its a bunny cage that i picked up for free. Holes too small for pecking chickens heads to get thru, I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise.

I just need good ideas to keep her quiet and calm, so shell heal. The clear container sounds like it'll keep her safer, now I need to work on quiet and calm or as calm as possible.

Careful. Keep her isolated, because if chooks see a sick one (blood, lethargy, etc) they WILL kill her. As mentioned, use screen to contain her, not bars. I recommend gently rubbing paw paw ointment on her, my vet recommended that when my chook's tail got ripped off by a dog and she was left with a nasty wound. The wound healed just fine (only a scar is left) and the feathers grew back.

Thank you all for you advice. Sir peeps a lot is doing shop much better. Tomorrow ill wash her off and let her in with girls for a bit, well supervised off course.

She really is getting stir crazy.

Back
Top Bottom