Ducks won't go in the coop how hardy are they?

neneeg

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
Hi there

I have 4 ducks who won't go in the coop at night

I'm worried about them with the bad weather coming up

Any advice?

Iv noticed one sneezing but iv not seen any mucus etc

Mine will do pretty much anything for treats. They love dried meal worms. Try luring your ducks into the house with treats.

Welcome to BYC!!

Muscovy's are hard headed and don't realize the dangers waiting for them if not put up and protected, how do I know I have 13. lol but with a little herding ability you can teach them. you may need help of another human at first if they are in a large open area though, old mop handle works good too, 2 even better then you can extend both arms when first using it to teach. I use a long pole I have a bamboo pole it's close to 6' long I walk up behind mine and say okay guys bedtime and put the pole out beside them this gets them started then I use the pole and my other arm to direct them where I want them to go. Do this slowly so they don't freak out and scatter. once you get them inside their pen give them a nice treat and a few minutes to eat it, then herd them the rest of the way inside, ducks learn fast once they get the idea what you want. Mine are usually waiting for me to put them to bed every night . they just need a little encouragement now. And I praise the dickens out of them when they walk right in too.

Back
Top Bottom