Questions about duck hut! Pppllleeeaaasssseee help! :))))))

Mccluckers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
uk
Hi guys so I live in the UK and I have two call ducklings so I am building there outside pen at the moment and I am going to use a plastic dog house for the night house. I don't know what to do for a door because a lot of the huts on here have screen ,if any doors. Wouldn't that cause problems with draughts and stuff like chickens? Or is screen/wire fine for a door of a duck hut? In UK we don't get really cold winters like you in America probaly gets down to -10c at the least but it rains a lot! Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks in advance. :D

Hi guys so I live in the UK and I have two call ducklings so I am building there outside pen at the moment and I am going to use a plastic dog house for the night house. I don't know what to do for a door because a lot of the huts on here have screen ,if any doors. Wouldn't that cause problems with draughts and stuff like chickens? Or is screen/wire fine for a door of a duck hut? In UK we don't get really cold winters like you in America probaly gets down to -10c at the least but it rains a lot! Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks in advance.
big_smile.png
Seems you would need a door of some kind on their house to protect them from preds especially at night, not sure what your house looks like other than plastic but there maybe a way to make a door for the front. I have solid doors and screen doors [dh made the screen doors] out of wood and hardware cloth for summer. Ducks need alot of ventilation in their houses so if you can place the opening of your house away from prevailing winds and blowing rain you maybe able to get away with some kind of homemade screen door. They are pretty tolerable of cold weather as long as they have a dry draft free dry place. I'd be real concerned about preds though if you don't have a way to lock them up for the night.

Thanks miss Lydia.

I haven't got a house yet but shall I try to et one with ventilation other than the open door so I can try to make some sort of solid door? When I know which house I am getting could I post on here and you guys can help me with door ideas?

Thanks again miss Lydia you are a lifesaver I think my ducklings would all be dead without you!! Still haven't figured out the colour yet Lacrystol and others have replied to my mystery call duck colour thread but they cant figure it out either!

Thanks miss Lydia.

I haven't got a house yet but shall I try to et one with ventilation other than the open door so I can try to make some sort of solid door? When I know which house I am getting could I post on here and you guys can help me with door ideas?

Thanks again miss Lydia you are a lifesaver I think my ducklings would all be dead without you!! Still haven't figured out the colour yet Lacrystol and others have replied to my mystery call duck colour thread but they cant figure it out either!
Some times on color you just have to wait till they are completely feathered in, they change so much.
Yes post pics of your house and we'll advise if we can. I have 4 dog houses in my front yard I use for my old ones to get into when it's raining snowing and freezing, they don't have doors and I've never tried to put any one because these are just for daytime use. but they have ventilation already in them so look for houses that have ventilation probably most do. then you could put a nice solid door on it. You may have to put a screen door on in summer because I would think these houses would be pretty warm with out windows or a screen door on them. But if you or who ever is helping you has carpentry skills you might be able to do interchangeable doors solid for winter screen for summer.My goose house has nice big windows in it [donated] but I am going to have my dh put a screen door on their house this spring for even more air flow. It will be homemade since house size probably won't work with a conventional screen door and I'd still have to put on hardware cloth so might as well make one. Glad we all could help Mc, we all have learned alot from each other.
smile.png

Ok. Not sure how much you've learnt from me but I sure have learnt a lot from you!

Will post links to the houses I am looking at when I have a look. Amazon here we come!!!

Hi there miss Lydia. Found this what do you think? Would it be big enough for my two? Would it alough room for any more! Duck math! Lol thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodside-...r-Outdoor-Pet-Shelter-House-New-/311174984706
Nice house and has ventilation which is good, you'll have to make sure those holes don't get clogged, I have to clean often the hardware cloth it has half inch holes and dust and dander sticks to it, I use a wisk broom. but you might be able to attach a door. I'd ask someone who knows before buying. looks perfect size for Calls though.

What about your pen how are you building it? is it going to be completely covered, calls are good flyers.

Last edited:
Ok thanks my pens is 6 ft high chicken wire dug into the ground 1 ft I plan on clipping there wings.

Back
Top Bottom