SICK RED SEX LINK. PLEASE HELP!

stephchick

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
My chicken has been sick for about 5 days now. Some days she is sick, some days she is fine. She has been pooping this crazy intestinal lining it looks like. And has had diarrhea. But has also had some normal poops too. Sometimes she acts perfectly normal. Other times, she he tucks her tail down and just becomes very still. Not moving. Her name is Red, so she is most definitely a "pet" more than anything. She hasn't laid eggs in at least 6 months. We got her in May 2012 and she was about 2 months old then.

Any ideas?????? Please help!

Some poop from this morning (Wednesday)

Poop from yesterday. Solid.

Below picture is what she pooped the day she was first sick. Last Thursday. Made me think it was intestinal lining. IDK

Saturday below.

Below is from Saturday. Looks like intestinal lining maybe????? She also pooped that bean looking thing, about the size of a blackeye pea.

She pooped this last Thursday. The first day she was sick. After she pooped this, she was fine until Saturday. Was about 1.5 inches.

Thank you for your reply. She hasn't laid an egg in over 6 months now. She is offered oyster shell. What else do you suggest to help provide calcium to her?

She is eating and drinking, so that does make me feel better. We started her on antibiotics yesterday because I wasn't sure what else to do.

It's called a wind egg or a fart egg. I think it is a sign that her system is working on laying eggs again. That is why I think more calcium would be good for her. Some people recommend liquid calcium. I am waiting for casportpony to chime in here.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be great to have eggs again, but not a big deal either. I just refreshed their supply of oyster shells.

Waiting to see what @casportpony has to say too.

The 'poops' that you think are intestinal lining are actually evidence that your hen has problems with her reproductive tract. How long has she been laying? Or not laying? I think adding more calcium to her diet may help her.
I agree... Might be a good idea to start her on an antibiotic and some calcium, just make sure you give them several hours apart as many drugs should not be given with calcium. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

I was thinking the same thing. It would be great to have eggs again, but not a big deal either. I just refreshed their supply of oyster shells.

Waiting to see what @casportpony has to say too.
Oral calcium, in tablet or liquid form, would be better.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom