Food grade DE questions

jhd9201

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 20, 2014
KS
I've read the pros and cons for this product an would like to try it. Can you give me some pointers? And do I add it to dust bath or nesting boxes? They are pullets, not laying, didn't know if that'd matter.

I'm pretty sure it's good for all chickens. I have only pullets and I put it in neat boxes (they sometimes go in to play In the straw)
I put some along with dirt and chick grit for their dust bath too.
I've also read it's good to add a bit to feed but haven't checked at what ratio.
It's a great product!

I use DE for everything. In their feed. In their dust bath. In the coop. In the nest boxes. All over. Love it.

I've read the pros and cons for this product an would like to try it. Can you give me some pointers? And do I add it to dust bath or nesting boxes? They are pullets, not laying, didn't know if that'd matter.
DE works well when dry to desiccate/kill pest insects....
.....that is why it is put into grain feeds, to kill grain pests while being stored, not because it kills internal pests when ingested by animals.

It prevents/kills nothing once wet....as in: on the ground in an outdoor dust bath areas and/or ingested.

I put a bit under the straw in the nest boxes, lots in the cracks/crevices of the wooden nest box construction and under/around the edges of the vinyl sheet flooring in the coop as a pest preventative.

I avoid putting it anywhere it can get stirred up in the air as it's a respiratory irritant.

Back
Top Bottom