How to know when a duck has finished zipping?

BunnyStyles

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Hey guys, its my first time actually hatching muscovy ducks. They have finally made an external pip, and i found that when it was 8:14am in the morning but they have not made it much larger or anything since then and its 4:25pm now. Kinda worried. Anyways whats this zipping thing i keep seeing? can someone explain what that is please? :) and also how do i know when they're done zipping, like do they try get out of the egg faster after they're done? please someone help me :)

After they have done the external pip they can rest for up to 24 hours sometimes longer before starting to zip the shell. I would describe it as munching through or pushing through the shell in a line around the shell to make a cap to push off the top of the egg. Once they push the cap off they may then rest before making a final push out of the shell. I don't have duck pics but this a chick that just zipped and pushed the cap off. It rested a while before actually getting out of the shell. It's the same principle. Hope this helps and try not to worry.

After they have done the external pip they can rest for up to 24 hours sometimes longer before starting to zip the shell. I would describe it as munching through or pushing through the shell in a line around the shell to make a cap to push off the top of the egg. Once they push the cap off they may then rest before making a final push out of the shell. I don't have duck pics but this a chick that just zipped and pushed the cap off. It rested a while before actually getting out of the shell. It's the same principle. Hope this helps and try not to worry.
Thank you so much! i honestly have no idea what im doing haha, im kinda hoping the ducks would hatch when i get home, as im going to my friends for a night haha, thank you so much for this information it really help and those chicks are so freaking cute :D congratz :) xxx

Thank you so much! i honestly have no idea what im doing haha, im kinda hoping the ducks would hatch when i get home, as im going to my friends for a night haha, thank you so much for this information it really help and those chicks are so freaking cute :D congratz :) xxx

Thanks they are little polish!! Unfortunately by incubator is away now for the winter but I can't wait for the spring :celebrate

Letting nature take its course is the best option. Hatching is their first real test to see how strong they are and that they will flourish once hatched.
Hope you have a hatchling soon :fl

Thanks they are little polish!! Unfortunately by incubator is away now for the winter but I can't wait for the spring
celebrate.gif

Letting nature take its course is the best option. Hatching is their first real test to see how strong they are and that they will flourish once hatched.
Hope you have a hatchling soon
fl.gif
thank you ! :D and hahah im sure you're excited for spring :) its summer here

when Muscovy's hatch its alot different from mallard derived breed. When my mallards hatch it takes about 2 hours

When my muscovys hatch it can take 5 days for them to come out all the way.

Back
Top Bottom