Amputate or not? Frost bite case

Lucky KY Chicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Kentucky
So my Black Copper Marans pullet has frost bite on her feet. One foot I believe will be fine but the other is swollen, has two black and smelly toes and looks overall like it has less circulation. I'm wondering if this will resolve itself with antibiotics or if I need to amputate toes and possibly a foot. All pictures were taken after her feet soaked for 20 minuets.
The not so bad foot:

The two feet for comparison:

The worry some foot:

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't have advice to give im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. But I'm sorry your hen is going through this I hope amputating is very last resort and sending good thoughts she recovers :)
How cold is it where you are :(

I'm giving her amoxicillin orally right now. I can get penicillin but don't know if I should switch since I already started amoxicillin.

I'm giving her amoxicillin orally right now. I can get penicillin but don't know if I should switch since I already started amoxicillin.
Amoxicillin is better. Are you giving her enough at least twice a day? I think most vets will say to give abour 60mg per pound at least twice a day for 7 to 10 days.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom