Do all roosters take longer to become fully feathered?

maddogdodge

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Australia
Do all rooster's take longer to become fully feathered? Or is it just particular breeds? I had an australorp earlier this year who took forever to get his feathers and obviously, he was a rooster. At the moment i've got some Barnevelder chicks and some X breed chicks... I'm just wondering if feather development would be a acurate way of guessing sexes at this stage?

Of course I'll be waiting until I'm absolutely 100% sure which ones are male before I make any decisions.

Thanks in advance for peoples thoughts
smile.png

I had 2 australorp roos and 2 barred rock roos. Three of them feathered out quickly but I had one australorp roo that took forever. What feathers he did have stuck out everywhere from his fuzz. He didn't start looking good until he was about 6 months old but I really don't know if its a breed thing or not. His brother feathered out right along with the BRs.

I had a loner hatch who was 3 days late hatching and is now 10 weeks and still not fully feathered. I still don't know if it's a roo/hen...lol There are more votes for roo than hen, but it's not obviouse. 3 weeks ago I hatched 13 babies, (one died) and the 12 buggers in there now are 3/4 feathered, even the ones I am almost certain of being roos. I am guessing they will finish feathering before my 10 week old. I know they say some roos feather out slower, but I am wondering in my case if the delayed developement/hatch is partly the reason for the delay in feathering. Almost all 12 are feathering (and are barnyard mixes) at about the same rate (and I better have some hens in there!)

All of my Astralorp roos feathered slower then the pullets.

Don't have any other breeds to compare

Back
Top Bottom