Hawk Attack

pro1742

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
My daughter just witnessed a small hawk swoop down and strike one of our Golden Laced Wyandatts. Thankfully, we were able to run outside and scare the hawk off but not before she was actually killed by the hawk. The poor little hen sustained some injury to right eye. Obviously, the hen was in shock so we set up a small bin inside with some shavings and a heat lamp. We inspected the hen for further injury and as far as we can tell her skull seems to be intact and her neck is in good shape. She keeps tapping her beak together like maybe she has injury to her jaw but nothing obvious to the naked eye. The injury to her eye is bleeding and does not seem to involve the eyeball. So we cleaned her up and applied some neosporin to the injury.

After a short while she seemed to calm down and has started drinking water. We added some feed in a small bowl for her should she decide to eat.

My question is what if anything should I be feeding her or doing for her after such a traumatic event or injury. I just want to make sure I am not missing something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Keep her warm and confined where you can keep an eye on her. I think its a good sign she is drinking water. Try a soft diet of something she likes..like scrambled eggs?

So sorry about the incidence, but glad you could rescue her. Hope she will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom