what kind of predator does this? WARNING: Graphic pictures

floman13

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Awendaw, SC
We have been loosing a hen every couple of days to hawks and now only let them out for an hour in the evening. All were alive lat night at bed time. This am I found one dead in the pen eaten from head to shoulder and a small hole under the coup with her feathers around it. She would not fit through hole. Cam inside and called my dad to help me fix hole. 2 hours later we were out and he comented on my 9 chickens...but I have 10 left I went in the coop and found another with the side if her neck missing but she was still alive. What would eat this like this? I posted pics sorry they are graphic
[/IMG][/IMG]

Edited by staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have been loosing a hen every couple of days to hawks and now only let them out for an hour in the evening. All were alive lat night at bed time. This am I found one dead in the pen eaten from head to shoulder and a small hole under the coup with her feathers around it. She would not fit through hole. Cam inside and called my dad to help me fix hole. 2 hours later we were out and he comented on my 9 chickens...but I have 10 left I went in the coop and found another with the side if her neck missing but she was still alive. What would eat this like this? I posted pics sorry they are graphic
[/IMG][/IMG]

I'd say a raccoon trying to pull her through the hole. In my early years of chicken keeping, I had a raccoon pull a fully grown chicken through a 2" X 2" hole piece by piece. I'm so sorry she was still alive. 2nd guess would be a weasel of some sort.

Last edited:
Mink or weasel.
I agree, this is exactly the type of animal that would kill that way. My mother had a similar problem with her ducks.

"Signs of Mustelid Predation: Weasels and Mink

• Weasels and mink have similar feeding behaviors, killing prey by biting through the skull, upper neck, or jugular vein.
  • In poultry houses, they often kill many birds, eating only the heads of the victims. Predation by rats usually differs in that portions of the body are eaten and carcasses are dragged into holes or concealed places.
  • Weasels eat eggs by breaking in at the ends. (openings 1/2 to 3/4 inch (1.5 to 2.0 cm) in diameter). Close inspection of shell remains frequently will disclose finely chewed edges and tiny tooth marks."

http://icwdm.org/inspection/Livestock.aspx

Sorry for your losses, I hope this information helps!

Back
Top Bottom