what attacked my rooster (graphic pic)

trameghan

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
Alabama

This morning i went to do my chicken chores and found a rooster on the wrong side of the fence. When i got closer i noticed that he had a huge wound on his right thigh. He was still alive and in shock. When i picked him up to look closer half his thigh was gone! I put him out of his misery and plucked the feathers looking for more wounds. He has a few bruises on his wings but no punctures or tears. The only wound is the one on his thigh. I looks like something was eating him. I'm confused as to what did this. The fact he was still alive and has no other wounds is odd. Please help. I don't want to lose any more this way.

Ouch! Poor guy. We don't have Opossum here so I really have no idea. Strange the he was still alive though. Most of our predators kill first and eat later. Do opossum just grab and eat or something?

Sorry for your loss!

Ive lost a few to dogs and one to an owl and an 8 week old chick to a cat but I've never seen one eaten while still alive. It's insane! I have a trap set so hopefully i get something.

Yes I hope you catch whatever did that. What are you using for bait? I usually find the remains of the bird that they killed to be most successful.

I'm using wet dog food. I already disposed of the chicken it attacked. It never occured to me to use the chicken it attacked.

I'm using wet dog food. I already disposed of the chicken it attacked. It never occured to me to use the chicken it attacked.

Well you inspired me to go look up info on opossums and it sounds like they are not all that bright and are gluttons for pretty much anything edible. So I would say cat food should work just fine if that is the culprit.

We had gotten five mink this year using the bodies of the chickens they've killed. Tried other bait but the chicken is the only thing that has worked so far. Those things are evil. Decapitated a broody which she was still on her eggs. :(

Hope you catch the little monster!

Any word yet? I feel horrible for that poor rooster! I'm shocked he was still alive since roosters are pretty darn tough and it's crazy to think he laid there while getting eaten alive! I wonder if he got a chunk bitten out while trying to get away, and then while he was in shock was chewed on more.

This make me almost grateful that one of my birds just magically disappeared from my yard instead of finding a body.. I'd be devistated to find this :(

Back
Top Bottom