Duck with septic arthritis and runny nose

TracyZ

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
Hi group,

I recently rescued a duck from someone on craigslist. He thought she had a broken leg for over 3 months and kept her in tiny cage and never took her to the vet. When I took her to the vet, the vet thinks her leg isn't broken but that she has septic arthritis. She has been started on antibiotics, but I also noticed that she has a runny nose. The vet didn't sound hopeful that the duck will make and I felt like I had to convince her to give us antibiotics. Needless to say, I'm looking for a different duck vet.

My questions...

1. Has anyone had a duck with septic arthritis? How were they treated and what was the outcome?
2. What could be causing the runny nose? Would antibiotics help?
3. Anyone in the Portland, OR area (I'm actually in Estacada Oregon, 40 minutes from Portland), know of a good duck vet?

Thanks,
Tracy

P.S.

Here is a video I made of Apple, my rescue duck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhAcjlONvzo

Bless you for saving her from that misery. I am sorry I cannot help with answers to your question, but I wanted to thank you for helping that poor duck. Check back frequently, there are some people on here that are really great at helping with medical issues.

I am so glad you are giving her a chance. I wish you all the best and will pray your little one pulls through.

Thank you for your kind words. I was going to consider taking her to a farm sanctuary, but I got too attached right away. I'm really hoping she recovers.

Tracy

Thank you for your kind words. I was going to consider taking her to a farm sanctuary, but I got too attached right away. I'm really hoping she recovers.

Tracy
She looks so much better, I've never heard of septic arthritis but I sure hope the antibiotics help, she acts like she is feeling good. Can she walk at all? there are sites on line youtube is one where they show how to make out of PVC a walker for ducks. As for the runny nose is it clear? and does it run all the time? just asking since sometimes water will run out of a ducks nares even after they have drank water and it's been a while. You can add some Apple Cider Vinegar to her water 1-2 tab to 1 gal of water it can help kill certain bacteria and since you have her on an antibiotic I'd offer her the ACV she can use it to clean out her nares and eyes and also it's good as a tonic.

What you've done is just like being her guardian angel you most likely saved her life. Bless you and i hope you have many years together. Please keep us posted on how she is doing, love her name too.

She can walk but she limps. I'm guessing her hurt leg will never completely recover and she will always limp. The liquid coming out of her nose is clear, I've just never noticed this with any of my other ducks.

Thanks,
Tracy

I am wondering if you find a better vet, that knows avian medicine, perhaps they will have a better diagnosis? I never heard of septic arthritis. I have not googled it but it sounds like an odd dx to me.

Let us know if you find someone else to take her too and if they come up with something different.

Hmmmm, maybe I will google it after all...................................I am curious.

I hadn't heard of septic arthritis before either, but when I looked it up it made sense and I've talked to other duck owners on my duck fb page that have had ducks with the disease. It occurs when a duck or person gets an infection, they become septic, meaning the infection travels to the blood and then it travels to the joints and destroys the joints. Becoming septic can be really serious and lead to death.

Okay, I can tell you a bit about arthritis and sepsis from The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook.

From the section on arthritis, Link writes that some treatment options include CosaminDS, NSAIDs occasionally, Adequan (for early cases), Legend -requires general anesthesia. You might want to look into these, and then educate a vet about these options.

Under Staph Infection, treatment includes the vet aspirating a sample of pus from the swollen joint and sending it to a lab for susceptibility testing (to determine which antibiotic would be best).

Adequan may prevent permanent joint damage.

Tricide or Tricide Neo may be used by the vet to flush the joint - this is part of the surgical approach, if that is taken.

I hope some of this may help you get the help you need.

Back
Top Bottom