Bantam living with ducks?! Help please

Crazy4Fowl

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
My duck coop
I have purchased 2 female ducks. The breed is golden 300 hybrid ducks (if that matters). The ducks will be living with my alone mille flour bantam. I have 8 other chickens that aren't bantams (barred rock, rhode island red, easter egger, and austrolop) and I tried adding the little bantam to the flock. I got her from some relatives. But the other chickens keep hurting and pecking her. So we had to take her out. All the chickens are hens. So we are getting 2 ducks and building a separate coop for the 2 ducks and my bantam. I am wondering will the ducks also peck her? They will come as babies and grow up with her in a big box, until they are old enough to go out side. I am debating on getting a drake also. Will the drake be aggressive to the bantam? Will the hens be aggressive to the bantam? Thanks Crazy4Fowl
Here is a picture of her... Her names Fluffy :)

If you get a drake, he will be likely to (not guaranteed but a great risk) kill her by trying to breed her. It's been years since I've brooded ducks, so don't remember the specifics of heat requirements for babies. The scenario you suggest is risky for a number of reasons. The hen might attack the babies, the heat requirement for the babies wouldn't be good for the hen, and they just might not get along. When the babies get some size to them, they may bully the hen. Also, duck housing and feed requirements are different than those for chickens. Ducks are "slobs" they must be able to duck their head in water at least up past their nostrils. They love to mix water with feed, and feed with water. Chickens don't do well in the wet sloppy environment that ducks create. I would re-home the bantam and get the ducks, or get her a couple of bantam friends and forget the ducks.

If you get a drake, he will be likely to (not guaranteed but a great risk) kill her by trying to breed her. It's been years since I've brooded ducks, so don't remember the specifics of heat requirements for babies. The scenario you suggest is risky for a number of reasons. The hen might attack the babies, the heat requirement for the babies wouldn't be good for the hen, and they just might not get along. When the babies get some size to them, they may bully the hen. Also, duck housing and feed requirements are different than those for chickens. Ducks are "slobs" they must be able to duck their head in water at least up past their nostrils. They love to mix water with feed, and feed with water. Chickens don't do well in the wet sloppy environment that ducks create. I would re-home the bantam and get the ducks, or get her a couple of bantam friends and forget the ducks.
Thank you for the info

Back
Top Bottom