PLEASE HELP with identifying swollen mass in chicken's left leg!

Carlton5280

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 16, 2014
This is my second chicken to have the same swollen mass in her leg. I know it is not Bumblefoot. Could it be mites or some other insect, mouse bite or what?! Cant find it anywhere in my books or online. Need Natural, Organic fix, if any. Thanks.

The Sunnyside Chickenman

She has an infection. Get vetrimycin and spray it on her foot. Looks like she was bitten. Could be by another chicken or something else. She may need antibiotics as well. Unfortunately if the vetrimycin doesn't work that will be the next step. I don't know of anything that is organic. But to save her foot you will need to do something. Keep checking her to make sure she doesn't run a fever. vetrimycin can be purchased usually at any food and tack store.

The only natural antibiotic that I know of is Grapefruit Seed Extract. It is found in some health food stores. I haven't used it to treat infection, only to sterilize things. I have read that it kills bacteria on contact. If you can't find it or don't want to try it, get other antibiotic ASAP.

Janet Marie, I concur with you on the antibiotic immediately. Its a nasty infection and it has to have something to combat the bacteria. I was unaware of the grapefruit seed extract. I will definitely get some for my flock. Thanks for the heads up there. I prefer to use natural over chemical, but sometimes you have to go beyond the natural.

Janet Marie, I concur with you on the antibiotic immediately. Its a nasty infection and it has to have something to combat the bacteria. I was unaware of the grapefruit seed extract. I will definitely get some for my flock. Thanks for the heads up there. I prefer to use natural over chemical, but sometimes you have to go beyond the natural.
I also agree about the natural and chemical. Depends on what is wrong and how bad it is.

Just a note on nursing care for her foot, I would suggest you soak the foot in warm water for about 20 minutes or use a warm compress on it twice a day to help clean the foot and start drawing the infection out of it. Tea Tree Oil has antibiotic properties. I would mix a few drops with some olive or other neutral oil and rub that lightly on the foot. You can also find directions for homemade drawing salves on the internet which can help with getting the infection out of her foot.

I forgot to say that the Grapefruit Seed Extract is only for topical application. Taking internally will not get to the foot, but will just sterilize the digestive tract. I also agree with The Kibble Goddess in drawing out infection. It is probably best to draw out any infection, and then apply an antibiotic. Warm water with Epsom salts are used on feet to draw out infections/toxins.

Last edited:
This is my second chicken to have the same swollen mass in her leg. I know it is not Bumblefoot. Could it be mites or some other insect, mouse bite or what?! Cant find it anywhere in my books or online. Need Natural, Organic fix, if any. Thanks.

The Sunnyside Chickenman

That is scaly leg mites. Apply vaseline or other oil based product to smother the mites. It will take time with continued treatment to get the foot back to normal. Nu-Stock is a good product to use.

Last edited:
I agree with Dawg53 that there is scaly leg mites. In addition, the bottom of the first looks like it could have pododermatitis (foot pad dermatitis.) Or is that mud on the bottom of the foot? I would make sure that there are no wet conditions in the coop and run, and that clean fresh bedding is down. Ammonia from droppings can cause foot pad dermatitis. A staph infection can affect the joint causing swelling.
http://www.joneshamiltonag.com/jh/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/PLT_PLT-and-Preventing-Paw-Lesions.pdf

13-12-10MSD3(1).jpg
2124_81,907.jpg

footpad dermatitis

Back
Top Bottom