Lazy Peachick

Peafowlssssssss

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 23, 2014
0.jpg

This peachick isn't active these days like before, someone told me it could be a problem of lack calcium, so i got this powder today, is that enough? And i give this powder every month, so they don't get sick again?

The video isn't really showing anything because he isn't moving, usually he jumps when i get that close!

Last edited:
Othman, I have not used such a powder. What kind of feed are you giving the birds? Often, some feeds are already supplemented with calcium (for example, layer pellets), so you perhaps would wish to check the feed label.

If the bird is acting "lazy," it seems more likely to me that it is suffering from an illness or parasite, such as worms, coccidia or some kind of infection. I would check carefully for signs of illness and isolate the bird, and would worm and treat for coccidia preemptively, immediately.

How long has it been lethargic?

Othman, I have not used such a powder. What kind of feed are you giving the birds? Often, some feeds are already supplemented with calcium (for example, layer pellets), so you perhaps would wish to check the feed label.

If the bird is acting "lazy," it seems more likely to me that it is suffering from an illness or parasite, such as worms, coccidia or some kind of infection. I would check carefully for signs of illness and isolate the bird, and would worm and treat for coccidia preemptively, immediately.

How long has it been lethargic?
Maybe three or four days, i'm feeding them a chick starter from local brand, they isn't really saying many things on the bag, i think it has some calcium but maybe its not enough, the bird almost looks fine no problem in his eyes or with his breathing.

Maybe three or four days, i'm feeding them a chick starter from local brand, they isn't really saying many things on the bag, i think it has some calcium but maybe its not enough, the bird almost looks fine no problem in his eyes or with his breathing.

Lethargy is a signal that something is seriously wrong. I would immediately isolate the bird, start worming and anti-coccidials, and collect a poo sample. Do you have access to a vet who will run fecal samples for you?

I do not know what insufficient calcium would look like, but I do think that you should check the worm and coccidia issues quickly, as lethargic birds often die. Worms and coccidia are unlikely to show up as eye or breathing problems unless the bird has secondary infections or multiple things wrong with it, or unless it is something like gapeworm or an overwhelming parasite load.

I think it is urgent that you get the bird isolated from the others while you figure out what is wrong with it. You also may need to treat the whole flock for worms or coccidia or both.

Lethargy is a signal that something is seriously wrong. I would immediately isolate the bird, start worming and anti-coccidials, and collect a poo sample. Do you have access to a vet who will run fecal samples for you?

I do not know what insufficient calcium would look like, but I do think that you should check the worm and coccidia issues quickly, as lethargic birds often die. Worms and coccidia are unlikely to show up as eye or breathing problems unless the bird has secondary infections or multiple things wrong with it, or unless it is something like gapeworm or an overwhelming parasite load.

I think it is urgent that you get the bird isolated from the others while you figure out what is wrong with it. You also may need to treat the whole flock for worms or coccidia or both.
I will now, and i will try to see a vet tomorrow, but i don't think he will run fecal samples for me, i hope its not coocidia or worms, i will need to wait until morning, its 2:30 AM here.

Q8,

They are terribly susceptible to cocci when they are young and they basically just look droopy winged and lethargic like that. It's very serious!!!!

It could be anything, but he needs treated quickly.

I will now, and i will try to see a vet tomorrow, but i don't think he will run fecal samples for me, i hope its not coocidia or worms, i will need to wait until morning, its 2:30 AM here.

Oops, sorry, forgot about the time difference
gig.gif
It's 4:30 in the afternoon where I am.

Of course, this may make him easier to catch!

Do you have the medicines on hand to treat coccidia and worms?

Q8,

They are terribly susceptible to cocci when they are young and they basically just look droopy winged and lethargic like that. It's very serious!!!!

It could be anything, but he needs treated quickly.

Also, a veterinarian who treats dogs and cats can usually (at least here in the U.S.) run fecal samples, either in-house or they have a lab that they send the samples out to, for processing.

It will not harm the bird to medicate for coccidia and worms, even if he turns out not to have them. If you can send a photo of poo (yes, it's gross), @casportpony will surely want to comment on it... In the meantime, you can look to see whether it looks normal or not. She has just started a whole thread of poo pictures. If your vet will run fecals, take the freshest sample that you can obtain.

The reason to see whether it is normal or abnormal looking is because both worms and coccidia damage the bird's intestinal tract, which eventually makes the bird ill, and may, when severe enough, show up as visibly abnormal poo. But it may not look bad when the bird is first becoming visibly ill, as yours is, which is why the vets run fecals with microscopes and other technology.

Here is the link to the poo thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/941731/peafowl-poop-normal-and-abnormal-lots-of-poop-pictures

Last edited:
0.jpg

This peachick isn't active these days like before, someone told me it could be a problem of lack calcium, so i got this powder today, is that enough? And i give this powder every month, so they don't get sick again?

The video isn't really showing anything because he isn't moving, usually he jumps when i get that close!
hugs.gif
And things were just getting quite at your place, , i hope the outcome is a good one from your vet visit and you do not have to keep going threw this
hugs.gif

Are they able to get out in the sunshine?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom