Coop without a run?

rachel2015

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
South west vic
Is it ok to lock the chooks in the coop at night with no outdoor access but let them out for a few hours everyday free ranging through the garden? How many hours a day outdoor access should they get?

They'll destroy any garden they get into, but are a great garden asset in the off season. I would never try to keep chickens without a run because of the risk of predators. And there are times that you'll want to keep them confined to a run, like when you have new layers, and want to train them to the nest box, or you're leaving home for a few hours. They'll feel confined if locked in a coop most of the day, and you might end up with behavioral problems. The recommendation is 4 s.f. in the coop and 10 s.f. in the run/bird.

I have runs attached to my coops so when I feel the need to keep them locked up I can, but they can still go outside. I don't think it's healthy for them to be kept in the coop for most of the day, only to be out for a few hours at a time. And as Lazy Gardener said, they will destroy your garden if you have anything growing. They'd dig it up quite nicely after you harvest, though.

Our chickens get 9-15 hours of "outdoor time" everyday, depending upon the light cycle of the year. Our runs are fairly predator-proof, so we don't lock them into the coop at night and they can enter the runs as soon as it is light enough. Winter time most of that time is in the attached covered runs due to the snow. I could never imagine not having a run. They need more than just a few hours of outdoor time everyday, whether in a run or free-range. And yes, they will likely destroy your gardens if you don't take sufficient measures to protect everything you want to keep (think chicken wire over or around everything). You'd be surprised how quickly a chicken can tear up prized flowers, shrubs or veggies, especially veggies.

If you can have a covered (or partially covered) run, all the better, as they will be happier and dry during wet weather.

Back
Top Bottom