No crow collar

DebbieParker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
Georgia
I have salmon Faverolle chickens, one rooster and five hens. My roosters crowing is about to do me in. I can't deal with the lack of sleep any longer. So to save him from going into the pot, I thought I would make a no crow collar for him. I used 2" industrial velcro, and I attached a sock to the inside to make it more comfy. I waited until they all were roosting to make it easy to get him. When II put it on him he immediately started going limp and rolling his head to one side. I put him in the chicken house and he kept going in the run and sprawling out on the ground like he was dead. I finally took it off of him for the night.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Is it just a weird behavior he will do until he is used to the collar? I made sure it was a pinky's width from his neck so I'm sure it wasn't too tight.
:hugs
Thanks for the help! ::

Absolutely normal behavior. My Black Australorp tolerates the collar pretty well but my Buff Orp will cover the whole spectrum of theatrics to try to fool us into taking it off. It worked the first couple times but after that we just started laughing at his melodrama. He's pretty darn quick running backwards! I started referring to his displays as "Crazy Ivans" (from Hunt for Red October) as he'll just be walking along normal and all of the sudden he'll put his head down, turn left or right and take 5 steps backwards and then go back to whatever he was doing.

Most important thing is not to over-tighten and check tightness frequently.

Thanks. I tried this morning and we put the collar back on him and now he's tolerating it better but he is doing the crazy Ivan's just like your chicken, I guess doing it at nighttime was just too much for him!
:cd

Back
Top Bottom