Hello Iam new here help me please

youngnewchick

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 19, 2014
I have one han and 1 rooster and she is laying they are fertilized so how do I get them so they can become chicksI live in Wisconsin she has about 6 eggs now

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Is your hen laying all of the eggs in the same nest. Hopefully, when she gets enought collected, she will become broody and sit on them for you. If not, the only other ways to hatch them is either to put them beneath someone else's broody hen or to put them in an incubator. I would strongly advise you to get some more hens to go with that rooster. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. With only one of each, that rooster is going to over-breed and batter your hen. One rooster can easily fertilize eggs for 10 hens. Also, if you had more hens, you could collect a laying clutch of a dozen or so eggs much more quickly which would ensure better viability. Also, you would be more likely to get a broody hen to sit on them. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

If you hen is sitting on her eggs, she can hatch the eggs for you. Just leave her be, make sure that she has enough food and water, and wait for 21 days or so from the time she started setting on them. Broody hens are usually good mothers.

If she won't sit on the eggs, you'll need to use an incubator. There are lots of incubators available for purchase online, or you can make your own. Incubators keep the eggs warm and provide the other right conditions for hatching the eggs.

Keep in mind that even if she's laying fertile eggs, there is no gurantee that the eggs will all hatch into chicks. Generally, a 75% hatch rate of fertile eggs or better is common. Not all chicks will make it through the whole incubation process.

Here are some good links to check out:

Incubating & Hatching Eggs (look here for threads on incubating eggs- you can also post your own thread there for answers to questions)

Both of these links have information on using broody hens to hatch eggs:

Broody Hens verus Incubators - The Pros and Cons
Guide to Letting Broody Hens Hatch and Raise Chicks

You can look at this page to read reviews on different incubators if you decide to hatch that way and need an incubator:

Egg Incubators - BackYard Chickens Community

Check out more links to hatching eggs/raising chicks here:

Hatching Eggs And Raising Chicks - BackYard Chickens Community

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom