Interesting Duck Behavior

jtn42248

Crowing
7 Years
Among my various chickens, ducks and geese I have a Khaki Campbell drake with two Khaki Campbell females and one crested Blue Swedish female. They make up a little group that I call my adult flock (as opposed to the 16 Cayuga ducks that are adults now but I call my little flock).

Anyway, this a.m. I let everyone out to their various spaces and I noticed that the Khaki drake and the Blue Swedish duck were sort of really interested in getting back into their coop but could not since I had closed it to keep the chickens out (they are in a two stall barn with one stall used to store feed). I opened the gate into the run (I had not let the chickens out to free range yet) and in ran the Khaki drake and the Swedish female. They ran as fast as they could into the chicken coop since it was open. The female disappeared into a corner and the male stood at the door blocking it and chasing away any chickens that tried to get in.

I peaked in and the Swedish female was making a nest in one corner of the chicken coop. The Khaki male was guarding the door, not letting anyone in and pacing back and forth. Finally, the Swedish laid an egg, buried it in the straw on the floor. Walked around it to make sure it could not be seen and calmly walked up to the male, made some sort of soft quacking sounds and the two of them waddled out to the free range back with the two Khaki females.

This was interesting simply because of the males behavior. I have seen all the ducks lay eggs before and they even will just sort of drop an egg in the middle of the field if the mood strikes. But, this was the first time that it at least appeared the male was involved in, and concerned about, the process. I suspect she wants to nest and hatch once she has a nice clutch of eggs but I am trying to avoid it since our real winter in these parts is still a month or so away. His protective behavior and what seemed like concern about her certainly moved him up several notches in my opinion of him.

I have seen geese manifest this behavior before but this is the first time I have seen a duck do it.

Among my various chickens, ducks and geese I have a Khaki Campbell drake with two Khaki Campbell females and one crested Blue Swedish female. They make up a little group that I call my adult flock (as opposed to the 16 Cayuga ducks that are adults now but I call my little flock).

Anyway, this a.m. I let everyone out to their various spaces and I noticed that the Khaki drake and the Blue Swedish duck were sort of really interested in getting back into their coop but could not since I had closed it to keep the chickens out (they are in a two stall barn with one stall used to store feed). I opened the gate into the run (I had not let the chickens out to free range yet) and in ran the Khaki drake and the Swedish female. They ran as fast as they could into the chicken coop since it was open. The female disappeared into a corner and the male stood at the door blocking it and chasing away any chickens that tried to get in.

I peaked in and the Swedish female was making a nest in one corner of the chicken coop. The Khaki male was guarding the door, not letting anyone in and pacing back and forth. Finally, the Swedish laid an egg, buried it in the straw on the floor. Walked around it to make sure it could not be seen and calmly walked up to the male, made some sort of soft quacking sounds and the two of them waddled out to the free range back with the two Khaki females.

This was interesting simply because of the males behavior. I have seen all the ducks lay eggs before and they even will just sort of drop an egg in the middle of the field if the mood strikes. But, this was the first time that it at least appeared the male was involved in, and concerned about, the process. I suspect she wants to nest and hatch once she has a nice clutch of eggs but I am trying to avoid it since our real winter in these parts is still a month or so away. His protective behavior and what seemed like concern about her certainly moved him up several notches in my opinion of him.

I have seen geese manifest this behavior before but this is the first time I have seen a duck do it.
What a sweet story, I haven't seen that behavior from any of my drakes.I'm betting your KC has been taking lesson from Sting.
wink.png

What a sweet story, I haven't seen that behavior from any of my drakes.I'm betting your KC has been taking lesson from Sting.
wink.png
Might very well have. He stands by their shared fence enough bugging poor Sting to distraction. So hopefully he has been paying attention and is learning a few manners and proper way to behave around his ladies.

Might very well have. He stands by their shared fence enough bugging poor Sting to distraction. So hopefully he has been paying attention and is learning a few manners and proper way to behave around his ladies.
It's always nice to have a role model.
smile.png
to look up to. even if he would like to beat your b.tt.

My drake Wist does this. I honestly thought all drakes did it and my call drakes were just little savages. Wist ALWAYS guards the ladies when they are laying and sitting, keeps them company while they brood and keeps out the rowdy folk. He doesnt take any nonsense when he's looking after a lady. Most of my girls hide eggs in the straw too.

Did it again today. Went to the same spot in the chicken coop, rebuilt her nest and laid an egg then covered it with straw and went about her morning. I suspect the eggs are fertile since he has been mating with her and is really paying a lot of attention to her compared to the other two girls. So I am going to try incubating just a few of the eggs and see what happens. If I end up with a few Khaki Campbell/Blue Swedish mixes so much the better. Just a few more mouths to feed. I will be incubating Cayugas this spring so with what I already have I guess I will shoot for an even hundred birds. Not as easy as buying from a hatchery and having them shipped to you but a lot more fun.

My drake Wist does this. I honestly thought all drakes did it and my call drakes were just little savages. Wist ALWAYS guards the ladies when they are laying and sitting, keeps them company while they brood and keeps out the rowdy folk. He doesnt take any nonsense when he's looking after a lady. Most of my girls hide eggs in the straw too.
every day I learn more about just the simple act of living from my birds. why do I suspect that these are the lessons I was supposed to learn when I was a kid?

From the goose your grandparent had jtn?
I was probably too busy trying to get away from that monster. He was at least 20 feet tall and had a bite like a vice. His honk was like Gabriel's trumpet and the flapping of his wings was capable of stirring up enough wind to uproot a 100 year old oak. I don't remember having him for dinner but I sure hope we did. Of course I was but a wee thing then so I may be exaggerating just a bit. Only lesson I learned from that beast was how to run like the wind.
gig.gif

I was probably too busy trying to get away from that monster. He was at least 20 feet tall and had a bite like a vice. His honk was like Gabriel's trumpet and the flapping of his wings was capable of stirring up enough wind to uproot a 100 year old oak. I don't remember having him for dinner but I sure hope we did. Of course I was but a wee thing then so I may be exaggerating just a bit. Only lesson I learned from that beast was how to run like the wind.
gig.gif
lol.png
well sounds like he may have had something to do with you not learning these lessons while in your younger years.

Back
Top Bottom