Older Chicks-Too Cold Outside

GAchickennewbie

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Northeast GA
I got 3 chicks last weekend to add to my flock of 4 hens.

They are around 5 weeks old and off heat. I plan on keeping them quarantined for another 3 weeks, but would rather not put them outside until our cold snaps are over or they have put on some good weight in addition to being fully feathered in.

They are in a 4 x 2 dog kennel right now. If we get a winter like last year and have seriously low temps is the 4 x 2 kennel going to be enough room for them until they are 10-12 weeks or should I look at building another inside enclosure for them for those last few weeks?

When they do go out, they're temporary coop will be a 4 x 4 enclosure with walls and a roof, roosts, etc. I did this the last time with my pullets and it allowed them to slowly integrate into the flock and have their own coop until all my girls decided to roost together. At that time, I combined the temporary coop with my other coop to give everyone plenty of space (55 square feet total) in case of squabbles.

Are you acclimating them to the outdoors, taking them for daily outings, that is? If this is feasible for you to do, they would probably be ready to be outside 24/7 within a week, or two at the most. They should be fine with a pile of hay to snuggle into by then. (Obviously, a door on the kennel at night to keep wind and draft out would help a lot.)

No, I'm not acclimating them yet, but that's because I want to keep them separate from the other hens for a month. I brought them home last weekend and want to keep them quarantined for a month as a precautionary measure. They're vaccinated against Merek's, but I just feel better to protect the rest of the flock, even though they'd be in separate enclosures from the rest of my girls.

Their 4 x 4 enclosure outside will be covered on 3 sides to protect them from the wind rain, etc.

All my girls are precious to me and this is only my second time getting chicks, hence the paranoia. Thank you for being patient with my "newbie" questions :)

Back
Top Bottom