Temperature of brooder!

backyardjack

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
England
What should the temperature of my brooder be with just hatched chicks as is and 30 degrees celsius and the chicks aren't huddling and they chirping away so as far as i am aware nothing wrong, but i thought theres no harm in double checking, thanks in advance Jack
yippiechickie.gif

Don’t get hung up on any one specific temperature you read on the internet. Let your chicks tell you, as you are doing. Sounds like they are happy so you are doing it right. If they were unhappy they would let you know.

I’m a strong believer in having a brooder big enough and set up so that you only heat one part and let the rest cool down. As long as that one place is warm enough and the rest gives them a chance to get away if it is too hot, they will find their own comfort zone. Usually that comfort zone is all over the brooder. They seem to like to play in the cooler sections but go back to the heat to warm up when they need to. And they normally sleep pretty close to the heat.

By having warm and cool areas you don’t have to worry about keeping the entire brooder a perfect temperature so that is a lot easier for you and they seem to be happier that way too.

Good luck. I think you are doing fine.

The first few days are learning for them and you. Keep an eye on them, as long as they continue to be active and healthy, you're good. When they start stretching out their legs and panting, move the lamp. I can't remember specific temps, I think it's 90* first week, then drop 5* each week, but I've never used a thermometer, just watched the babies for their signals.

Sounds like you are doing great. Just raise the lamp a little each week. If the chicks huddle together under the light than you raised it too much. They will "tell" you where the lamp should be.

Back
Top Bottom