ground maintenance in a chicken run?

northcolors

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 5, 2014
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for maintaining the ground in our run? We have 6 chickens that spend time in the run. Ive raked it out at times and put shavings or hay down, it has a dirt floor. The temperature here now is about 35 degrees average and the ground often seems damp. We have rain and snow. The chickens frequently get soiled feet from the run ground despite the maintenance Ive done. Any ideas?

Make sure that the drainage is good, and add shavings as needed. Covering the run is best, but mine isn't either (YET!) so the footing does get damp, and snow covered. Not ideal, but hasn't really been a problem. We shovel snow and crud out as needed. Mary

Ok, thanks will do that search. We do have a tarp overhead and bays of hay at the side of their run. Seems thinking about drainage is a good idea. With this weather a damp ground may be inveitable.

My run is deep litter with pine straw. I just raked a corner of my yard and added it to the run today. This will last a month or more before i need to add more.

Sand, cheap construction sand, I added about 6 inches of sand to my run and no more mud at all. Rain or snow..no mud and the hens love it. Easy to keep clean too..just rake it.

Back
Top Bottom