What is the average male:female ratio of a batch of eggs?

gguineasfamily

Songster
Jan 23, 2013
Brisbane, QLD Australia
Hey guys I'm just wondering if its normal to hatch a batch of eggs and get 10 males and 6 females? Is it normal to have so many males? Or is it just my guineas genes? And also out of some of the eggs laid by the 6 females and 10 males someone bought they said they hatched and we're all male. Do my guineas have a male gene or something? Is it possible to get some eggs with a female gene? And anyone in Australia know where I can get them? (I have about 4 males running around picking fights because they have nothing better to do)

The rooster to hen ratio on hatched eggs varies between 0 and 100%. Last year on my hatching eggs I had 70%
roosters. Theoretically it should be 50-50. Guess my eggs didn't know that.
I did one hatch that gave me all roosters and another gave me all pullets. So I had two groups of different breed chickens (I had gotten these eggs from breeders) without a chicken of the opposite sex.
he.gif

The rest of the hatches gave me both sexes but higher on roosters.
My husband says if I want to add to the chicken population I should get sexed day olds to avoid this, but I am trying to convince him that this year, in theory at least, the ratio should tilt heavily to the hen side. Right?

The rooster to hen ratio on hatched eggs varies between 0 and 100%. Last year on my hatching eggs I had  70%
roosters.  Theoretically it should be 50-50.  Guess my eggs didn't know that.
I did one hatch that gave me all roosters and another gave me all pullets.  So I had two groups of different breed chickens (I had gotten these eggs from breeders) without a chicken of the opposite sex. :he
    The rest of the hatches gave me both sexes but higher on roosters.
    My husband says if I want to add to the chicken population I should get sexed day olds to avoid this, but I am trying to convince him that this year, in theory at least, the ratio should tilt heavily to the hen side.  Right?

Yes. When I hatch my next batch of eggs the ratio should tilt heavily to the hen side too... Maybe you should try getting more eggs from the people who gave you pullets.

I heard that gender happens on fertilisation. Does that mean the male determines gender? Because if I could find a male that makes females...

Anyway out of my 10:6 hatch there are 4 parents - 2 females 2 males. Most of the males look just like the dominant male parent. Out of the 12 or 13 I think he fathered, 9 are males. Does this mean he is the reason for my male problem?

In mammals the male determines the sex, but from what I have been told poultry is different and it is the female who determines the sex.
If only the sex could be determined in the egg before you started incubating it. It's a nice thought.

Hey guys I just want to reopen this thread. There's a theory going round with chickens that a round top egg is female and pointy is male. If anyone wants to experiment with this theory please post your results!

Back
Top Bottom