my very own micro farm

Pics

attimus

Songster
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
Bootjack California, just west of yosemite
So being as its the beginning of the year I feel its a good time to start a running thread of my birds. What started as 3 chicks became 4 hens which quickly turned into 5. Not long after we acquired 4 ducks and 2 more hens. And i will be getting my first roo in two days. Gotta love chicken math. Between two separate garden sites, a restaurant supplied compost pile, hand dug pond and ambitious plans for the future involving new poultry,livestock and structures I'll be fairly busy. BYC has been by far the best resource and I look forward to sharing my experiences.
a few of the girls getting a warm snack on a cold day. Been frozen here the last few mornings and my ducks certainly don't like their pond being frozen. Still end up getting in it after I break the ice tho. Crazy mallards.
this was from a few days before the cold snap. If you've made it this far thanks for taking an interest, there will certainly be more to come. Wish all you fellow byc'rs a great new year. Attimus

Fun! I love ducks and duck eggs but unless we add more fencing to keep the dogs away from the ducks its not an option!

My dog learned with our rabbit... who just passed away, but he didn't learn with the ducks so I rehomed them!

Beautiful. I just got my chicks in May and chicken math has struck twice since then! Our property is only 60 feet wide, so that puts a damper on the madness. :)
My other addiction is gardening, so I am always up to something.
welcome-byc.gif

Beautiful. I just got my chicks in May and chicken math has struck twice since then!  Our property is only 60 feet wide, so that puts a damper on the madness. :) 
My other addiction is gardening, so I am always up to something. :welcome
the ducks and WLHs are from April. So about the same age. Weather has been screwy so the ducks have already been trying to go broody. looking forward to the little ducklings in the springtime.

I always find it so bizarre that occasionally all of the animals run low enough on food at the same time that you end up getting it all at once. Now that that is all taken care of, making a hot snack for the girls and fixing up a pen for the new rooster. Which the ladies have already deamed theirs. Haha

I LOVE Welsh Harlequin Ducks. They are rare and were or are in danger of becoming extinct but they are beautiful and great egg layers!

Back
Top Bottom