Hurt goose- need advice!

beegirl4

Songster
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
I have two pet Canada geese that live outside along with wild geese. We have a 3 acre pond that has recently started to freeze. My pet geese are still young and are not familiar with the ice. My girl, is cut up and can not walk at all. I can see a cut on her leg ( not too bad) and there is blood underneath her but I can not see where it is coming from because her down is so thick. Right now I have her laying outside my door wrapped in towels. I don't want to keep her in the house because it seems way too warm for her. I could put her in the garage, but I'm afraid the different sounds will freak her. She is drinking but not eating, and she seems to be resting semi- comfortably. What do I do?! I hate to see her like this.

I have two pet Canada geese that live outside along with wild geese. We have a 3 acre pond that has recently started to freeze. My pet geese are still young and are not familiar with the ice. My girl, is cut up and can not walk at all. I can see a cut on her leg ( not too bad) and there is blood underneath her but I can not see where it is coming from because her down is so thick. Right now I have her laying outside my door wrapped in towels. I don't want to keep her in the house because it seems way too warm for her. I could put her in the garage, but I'm afraid the different sounds will freak her. She is drinking but not eating, and she seems to be resting semi- comfortably. What do I do?! I hate to see her like this.
Your going to have to examine her all over for a cut she could bleed to death. Put her in the garage you can put up a temporary fence or use a large dog kennel to help keep her calm and immobile till she is feeling better. But stopping that bleeding is very important. You can use a warm salt water to wash her wounds and an ointment like triple antibiotic but nothing with pain relief in especially ending in caine. Water down betadine would work to to clean up any wounds. Please update when you can.Examining her may take 2 people someone to hold her while the other person does the examining

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I think the bleeding has stopped - it's just clotted and matted. I was thinking about putting her in the tub to wash it off, but I'm afraid that would do more harm than good. She can not stand at all either. Is she fine just "laying" around? I was worried about separating her from her brother but he has kind of "abandoned " her at this point.
1f612.png

Thank you so much. I think the bleeding has stopped - it's just clotted and matted. I was thinking about putting her in the tub to wash it off, but I'm afraid that would do more harm than good. She can not stand at all either. Is she fine just "laying" around? I was worried about separating her from her brother but he has kind of "abandoned " her at this point.
1f612.png
I think I would put her in a nice tub of warm water so you can see exactly what's going on if and see if she uses her legs in the water? . Resting after an injury is fine as long as you know the extinct of the injury. Once she is fine to go back outside he will once again be her buddy. How bad is the cuts on her legs? could one be deep enough to have damaged a muscle or ligament?Only way to know is to look her over really well. You can use a large towel over her back to pin her wings close to her body so you can get a look at her legs. If your worried about her biting them put a towel over her head too or a pillow case so she can't see what's going on.

I got her up on her one leg ( I'm getting a bath ready). Here is a picture of her leg. It doesn't look good the way she is holding it and not tucking it completely in. I'm going to wash her up and then set her up in the garage. Of course it is sleeting/ snowing / raining here. I'm so sad.

I got her up on her one leg ( I'm getting a bath ready). Here is a picture of her leg. It doesn't look good the way she is holding it and not tucking it completely in. I'm going to wash her up and then set her up in the garage. Of course it is sleeting/ snowing / raining here. I'm so sad.
Hopefully after her bath you'll be able to see where the injury is and put something on it. must be up close to her body the way she's holding her leg but don't fret too much these animals are amazing at how they can come back for some really bad injuries, so lets wait till you've seen what this is. Rest and TLC hopefully will be all she needs

Thanks so much for all of the replies and concern. I put her in the bath tub and she was super happy. She washed herself for about a half an hour. I could not find where the actual injury is, although I didn't "dig" around very much. She floated around in the tub and eventually started tipping to one side, so I brought her out and set her up in the garage. She is resting peacefully right now. She hasn't eaten a thing today, but I guess that is ok. I'll keep you posted. She is the sweetest thing...I can poke around and move her constantly and she never gets irritated or bites!!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of the replies and concern. I put her in the bath tub and she was super happy. She washed herself for about a half an hour. I could not find where the actual injury is, although I didn't "dig" around very much. She floated around in the tub and eventually started tipping to one side, so I brought her out and set her up in the garage. She is resting peacefully right now. She hasn't eaten a thing today, but I guess that is ok. I'll keep you posted. She is the sweetest thing...I can poke around and move her constantly and she never gets irritated or bites!!
And she didn't start bleeding again? Did you see her use her injured leg? I'd keep her inside till she is up walking and eating and drinking it may take a couple days to a week but you don't want to put her out till she is 100% able to get around on her own. She sounds lovely and she is beautiful She might not eat till tomorrow but keep food and water close by. You can even try making a warm mash sometime when they don't feel so good they will eat a soupy mash of their feed. I know you can't do this is an actual pond but when I know we're going to have freezing temps I dump all pools just so I don't have to worry about anyone getting cut on ice. Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

And she didn't start bleeding again? Did you see her use her injured leg? I'd keep her inside till she is up walking and eating and drinking it may take a couple days to a week but you don't want to put her out till she is 100% able to get around on her own. She sounds lovely and she is beautiful She might not eat till tomorrow but keep food and water close by. You can even try making a warm mash sometime when they don't feel so good they will eat a soupy mash of their feed. I know you can't do this is an actual pond but when I know we're going to have freezing temps I dump all pools just so I don't have to worry about anyone getting cut on ice. Please keep us updated on how she is does
She did not start bleeding again (that I can see) but she will not put any weight on her one leg. She still "chirps" like a baby when she is happy , so I think she is feeling ok. Right now she is resting. It is so strange how the other geese can navigate the ice and mine look like some kind of cartoon sliding and falling over. It makes me think that geese must have a pretty advance form of communication. They all "talk" to each other and teach each other. Mine were abandoned as eggs, and they were raised in the house for months, so they don't seem to speak the language. It's kind of sad, but I'm amazed at how resilient and sweet they are!!

Back
Top Bottom