Still have a mink problem

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!

It's been 3-4 weeks and I still have a mink problem. Since his initial slaughter of way too many guinea in one night I have set up several steel traps and he springs them sometime but I can't catch him. I have put a caged rooster in the barn where he made his previous kills and he returns 4 out of 5 nights avoiding springing the traps. What else can I do to get this guy?? I've put poison laced nuts out... Nothing... Any ideas???

May be try fresh fish as bait. and cover the traps with compost or straw or something similar. wash the traps and put disposable gloves when you are setting the traps
If you can put poison in fresh fish you will have a better chance

Last edited:
Get a couple of live traps and put them in proximity to the rooster so that they have to enter the box traps to try to get at the rooster.

mink like to check out tunnels . A 110 conibear at each end of a pipe or box tunnel with bait in the middle of tunnel . Check out utube videos on mink trapping .

Per my husbands advice: a 6-8 inch round section of PVC pipe, use fresh fish or chicken inside for bait, 110 conabare trap at each end. He said he's caught many mink this way. He's looking for a picture of the set up as we speak

Or just build a "trap box" out of some six inch wide boards or plywood...if using Conibear traps I wouldn't even worry about washing them in the coop. There is enough of your scent around anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl68025

Per my husbands advice: a 6-8 inch round section of PVC pipe, use fresh fish or chicken inside for bait, 110 conabare trap at each end. He said he's caught many mink this way. He's looking for a picture of the set up as we speak

If I can add to this .......put the trap . tube in a area of interest for the critter , plus I use sardines out of a can . I will say it looks a bit big for a weasel ?? a pine martin maybe ?

Back
Top Bottom