How long till first egg?

TexasChicken12

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
My barred rock Pullet has started squatting for me and her comb and wattles have grown really big and red. How long do I have to wait??? Thanks for all your help!

There is no definite age/time for when your pullets start laying, but if she squatting it should be any day most likely!
wink.png

My barred rock pullet just started laying this week, at age 27 weeks 2 days. Squatting (crouching) is a good sign, although this particular pullet is very skittish and never did squat. However, with my other pullets, I noticed that they typically lay their first egg within 7 to 10 days of when they first begin squatting.

Good luck! The first egg from any pullet is SO exciting!

Last edited:
Thanks!! Congrats on that first egg!!!! Our gals are on all-flock feed. Should I start giving them oyster shell even though only the one is squatting? Thanks for all your help!!!

All flock feed usually has some calcium, but you're right - it's not enough for layers. I do like the higher protein content of an all flock feed though, and often mix it 50:50 with layer feed to achieve around 18% protein.

Yes - You can make the oyster shell available to them free choice in a separate dish (i.e., not mixed in with the feed). They won't eat it unless they need it, so there's no harm in offering it to pullets that aren't quite laying yet.

I have had my chickens since March how long till I see an egg waiting for me?

It depends what kind of chicken you have and their conditions (health, food, how active they are. I have 4 chicks - barred rocks & Rhode Island reds that was hatched March 3, only one barred rock been laying for small eggs over a week now and the other had sporadically laying one or 2 soft eggs after they start singing their chicken hymns. I'm still waiting for the other 2 to lay eggs, according to their age they are exactly 20 wks (5 months old). Now I also have some chicks that I added 23 of March few days ago they just started their songs and combs started to get more red and they are almost 3 wks younger than the 4.

I got 12 new pullets, that were 4 months old this past Thursday July 30. Out of the 12, 5 are americaunas. I got my first greenish blue egg today. I did know they were early layers. I knew my sex links always are. But first time for Americaunas.
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom