Brahmas, Cochins, Orpingtons

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I want Cochins but as I look into them they are kind of costly to buy. I am wondering what the going price for Brahmas, Cochins and Orpingtons are. I wanted a larger breed of chicken but really like the looks and weight of the Cochins. I know that as I have them listed is supposed to be the descending order of weight, with Jersey Giants being bigger than those 3 breeds. I settled on Cochins because they have the most colors for more weight.

We have a raccoon killing off my chickens and he's very smart. He avoids the trap no matter what we bait it with. I think my husband feels sorry about it and he has offered to get me some Cochins but when I looked at some local hatcheries I can't afford 50 of them and they would have to be straight run so I would want a lot of them to hopefully not have more than half of them be cockerels. Also, both local hatcheries are saying that the Cochins are becoming rare or are exotics so the prices are higher.

So, now I am wondering about the prices for Brahmas and Orpingtons, if they cost any less than Cochins.

It all comes down to what quality of bird you want. Hatchery Buff Orpingtons and most Cochin varieties are usually >$4/each and you can buy them sexed. If you want larger, typier, SOP birds, or a rare color you're probably looking at getting straight run from a breeder, and you're going to pay upwards of $15 a chick (often in the $25-$100/chick range, more for truly rare colors).

I would certainly figure out how the raccoon is getting to the birds before getting more though.

If you are looking at hatchery cochin chicks they are not much more than any other chicks. Show quality adults will be pricey. I have bought most of my chicks from Privett because it is one of the closest and 2 of the feed stores I buy from use them as a provider. I don't see this year's price list but last year cochin pullets were $3.50 under 25. There is a boxing fee for orders under 100 (I think it's $7) so add another $ .28. They also have an assorted cochin option that will be even cheaper.

This is a blue I raised last year. Some of the best shank feathering I have ever seen.

This is the silver laced that I kept to raise chicks for me. She's been great at hatching guinea eggs and raising store bought chicks.

I am near Ashmore Illinois (a long way from you) but if it was possible I would give you 2 blue splash standard Cochin hens that are under 2 years old. My rooster died and now I don't need them. They are big gentle fatties. I hatched and sold several chicks from them.

LittleOak, I would take you up on that offer and come to get them but my wonderfully understanding husband took me to Texas a couple of months ago to pick up some geese and I don't think he is ready for another trip yet. LOL Thanks for the offer.

Back
Top Bottom