Serama eggs & new Brinsea 'bator...

hamerfam

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Fishersville, Va
This forum has been indespensable to me, so I figured I'd post my "adventures with Serama eggs" in case it helps anyone else!
We set over 80 eggs (over time) in a regular Farm Innovators circulated-air incubator with turner. Had ONE hatch and he died halfway through unzipping. I was heartbroken.
So I bought a Brinsea Octagon Eco (happy birthday to meeee lol) and set 23 eggs in it in early-mid December.
EIGHTEEN HATCHED!! That's a better hatch rate than my broody hens!!
Now that being said...there were 3 malpositioned chicks that I had to assist with hatching...two who pipped but just needed a tiny bit of help unzipping (again, thank you BYC forums for instructions!) and one who fought mightily for nearly 12 hours and I finally couldn't take it anymore, so I turned on the bathroom heater, steamed it up in there, and set about hatching her myself. Success!!
I didn't have any issues with splayed legs, curled toes, etc. One of the malpositioned chicks did get "shrinkwrapped", but we fixed that with bacitracin ointment, warm water, and patience.
I now have eighteen happy and healthy chicks zipping around a large brooder in my spare bedroom lol...feathering out a bit and eating like pigs.
1f601.png
I told hubby i wanted my first batch to stay till they feathered out and I could keep "pick of the litter", but I've also got 5 2-month olds that a broody hen hatched in a heated brooder in the barn LOL...
Geesh where am I gonna put all these babies for winter?! But it's a HAPPY problem to have!!
Just thought I'd share my luck...we didn't do anything different with the Brinsea than the FI bator...it just really is a better product and WELL worth the money for anyone seriously wanting to hatch eggs.

One of the babies in a shot glass...

(That's not their brooder btw, I put them in a playpen during the day in the den, where they get used to sights and sounds, dogs, and being handled...just in case anyone wants to make them house pets. My tame chickens always sell faster than my flighty ones!)

Last edited:
I have noticed that the people who have Seramas hatch pretty easily usually have a Brinsea. I would love to have one myself... someday!! I am happy you got so many chicks. If you are going to winter chicks inside, Seramas are the way to go since they are so tiny. I pretty much keep mine indoors till they start crowing and then out they go!!

This is perfect timing as I am going to set 12+ Serama eggs at the end of the week! I have a Brinsea octagon and have overall been really happy with it. This time I'm keeping the incubator near the heater in my house to help it regulate temps (I'm in upstate NY and it's COLD!) and I'm keeping humidity super high due to the general dryness in my house as well. I've found my Brinsea works perfectly in the Spring but has a little trouble if the surrounding/outside temp is irregular - like in Jan/Feb. I could try and wait but I think you all know why I'm not! I live in an old drafty house and am hoping and planning for a much better hatch than this time last year. I bought some Seramas from Castle a couple winters ago and had a two out of twelve hatch, I think due to issues with heat/humidity. I'd appreciate any tips or tricks that anyone more experienced hatching seramas has!

This is my upstate drafty farmhouse solution. Also have solar blankets from floor to counter. Day 7 of silkies tho.
1f340.png

Hey hey...good luck & everyone else!

I think I will try some serama's in the little incubator next! They are beautiful birds!

Thanks! I just received my eggs this morning - 14 Serama and 21 (!) Silkies! My incubator is going to be so full! I have them all set out, fat end up and I will candle them tonight when I get home from work. Depending on how the air cells look then I will decide how long to let them sit out for. (12-24hrs). Heat packs were included in each shipment so they never got cold which is nice.
Anyone else have any tips or tricks on how to keep temp and humidity raised and constant in the incubator for winter hatches? I actually have my incubator under my computer desk and next to the radiator in my room. I am going to try and find a large cardboard box to place it in, or at least construct a shield like someone kindly posted above to keep drafts away and hopefully help insulate the incubator. I am also going to track air cell development this time which I have never done before.

I would not put it near the draft or blow of your heater. I would def treat the room for humidity if you are dry. Good luck ! I hope your air cells look good!

Thanks! I just received my eggs this morning - 14 Serama and 21 (!) Silkies! My incubator is going to be so full! I have them all set out, fat end up and I will candle them tonight when I get home from work. Depending on how the air cells look then I will decide how long to let them sit out for. (12-24hrs). Heat packs were included in each shipment so they never got cold which is nice.
Anyone else have any tips or tricks on how to keep temp and humidity raised and constant in the incubator for winter hatches? I actually have my incubator under my computer desk and next to the radiator in my room. I am going to try and find a large cardboard box to place it in, or at least construct a shield like someone kindly posted above to keep drafts away and hopefully help insulate the incubator. I am also going to track air cell development this time which I have never done before.
I just did my first hatch with an Octagon 20. Love it! Temps were not a problem, humidity was. Had to fill both wells just to maintain 42% for the first 18 days. Wicked with a paper towel during lockdown to maintain 65%. Hatched 16 of 22 of my own eggs, although a few of them were 2 weeks old

I just did my first hatch with an Octagon 20. Love it! Temps were not a problem, humidity was. Had to fill both wells just to maintain 42% for the first 18 days. Wicked with a paper towel during lockdown to maintain 65%. Hatched 16 of 22 of my own eggs, although a few of them were 2 weeks old

That's a great winter hatch rate! Especially at 2 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom