Ordnances in La Vergne, TN

RedTravelMaster

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
My wife and I are considering buying our retirement home in La Vergne, Tenessee, and one of our criteria for a location is being allowed to have backyard chickens (also bee hives, but that is another forum). I've found ordances for Murfresboro and some other communities in Tenessee, but not La Vergne. Can someone provide some info ? Thanks.

Take a ride there and ask the peeps in city hall. Or get telephone to same and call them during business hours. Visit would be best since you want to know how it will look for people comfort as well.

My wife and I are considering buying our retirement home in La Vergne, Tenessee, and one of our criteria for a location is being allowed to have backyard chickens (also bee hives, but that is another forum). I've found ordances for Murfresboro and some other communities in Tenessee, but not La Vergne. Can someone provide some info ? Thanks.

Hi! I don't know much about La Verne, but what I have heard doesn'5 sound very compatible with what you want. They are big on HOA's and permits for chickens, etc. Murfreesboro is farther from Nashville and more lenient, I believe. I live about an hour south of Nashville and my OH works in Bellevue, Nashville. I can try to see if I can find out more info for you if you want. Are you specifically set on La Verne or are you open to different areas? Most of TN is good about chickens, livestock, etc, but it gets complicated in the more rural areas. Living in County instead of inside city limits makes a big difference as well.

Hey thanks everyone for the info, and for your efforts in helping me.

As a little background info: my wife and I currently live in northern Virginia. We're planning on retiring in a few years (the fewer the better), and looking for a place to retire to. We're thinking Tennessee as I have a lot of family living in the central part of the state. As part of my retirement plans I want to try urban farming that I've been reading about for years but almost never had the opportunity to try, for one reason or another. Backyard chickens, along with bee-keeping (I'm taking a bee-keeping course next month) figure into our urban gardening plans.

I also want to be near water as I enjoy water-related sports (fishing, boating, kayaking). We're not adverse to rural life, but do want to be someplace that has paved roads...

We're not specifically interested in La Vergne, but that was one area I was looking at because it was close to the lake. But now I know I need to take that town off my list. So thanks again. I'm open to any suggestions for nice places in Tennessee to settle into.

Sorry to rain on La Vergne, I have no issues with it, it just didn't sound quite like what you were looking for. As Wilebaum mentioned, Murfreesboro is good, its central area too. You might wanna look into it.
I live outside of the Columbia area, in County, but not in the city. I prefer it cuz it gives me more options with what I can and cannot do, lol.
Tennessee is beautiful and I hope you find what you are looking for. If you think of other places, just post the areas and I have no issues looking up info for you, if I can find it, lol. Good luck!! :)

Just my opinion but if you are purchasing a home i would not purchase in La Vergne TN. You cannot park on your grass they will ticket you. You cannot park on the curb (they will tow you )in front of your home or someone elses. Kinda bad when bunch of family comes in..and according to a paper I have obtained from a local 4H for rutherford county rules on keeping chickens in different towns within a city limit in rutherford county and county houses.. Poultry is not allowed in la LaVergne. Murfreesboro has a limit. I do not have the paper in front of me but it includes poultry, geese, duck, and the rabbit to if memory serves me right 8 total No roos because or noise ordanace and most lots are small in subdivisions this is within city limits..Smyrna only allows if u so many feet from a public road. So purchase a house in county that does not have a HOA..I am right outside Smyrna city limits and I just have a noise ordnance but our lands are an acre or more per house I am in a subdivision but no HOA so i don't have a HOA dictating what I can or cannot do

Back
Top Bottom