Sparrow Invasion

2wheelnurse

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 5, 2014
Sparrows descend upon my run where I have the chicken food and I think they eat it all. Not sure if the chickens are getting all they need. How can one tell? Any suggestions for eradication that don't involve a pellet gun or .22?

Keep the food in the coop.
Smaller mesh on the run.
Google sparrow trap.
Stop any intentional wild bird feeding...if you're doing that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into a different kind of feeder! I used to have a bird feeder for birds, but stopped it when the sparrows took that over. Too bad because I had some pretty Woodpeckers, Finches, and Cardinals. :(

I used to have a bird feeder for birds, but stopped it when the sparrows took that over. Too bad because I had some pretty Woodpeckers, Finches, and Cardinals.
sad.png
Last year I had to give up bird feeding for the same reason. this year no Sparrows yet and I am getting all kind of finches especially goldfinches "where is the touch wood icon here"

I almost wished I had little critters like birds that come in to my yard to eat but no - my chihuahuas take care of that. They are terrified to be in my yard. The neighborly squirrel only runs across fences cause he knows. lol!

I do have a lot of birds that sleep in the "bamboo forest" that is part of my neighbors, which is close to my chicken house so that makes me worry because someone mentioned illnesses.

yeah. you can have the blanety blankeyt wild birds .. they fly thru the roof of the 2 inch run and even the 1 inch poultry wire roof of the other run............
Roo Roo was chasing them for a while......
We evn put their food in their solarium truck topper.......
So I ordered a treadle feeder... My three chickens will not even lay their eggs in their coop.. they only return to their coop to sleep. the spoiled Babies....dare I say brats//// LOL
the two hens that lay , 1 lays her egg in the older small coop next box, the other hen lays in the sheltered nice "dog.animal carrier"... in their older run...... I set up for another shelter for ALL of them.. Go figure...
I even try swatting at them.......
I wish lazy Kitty would try catching them. Oh I prop oeb just a little the old run gate and the blankey blankey wild birds fly thru that.... Maybe I need one of those platic curtains like in backroom etc of groceries. the clear slitted ones(curtains).. Duh

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom